BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys / Girls,

Question:- What should I be looking for when buying a used motorcycle? In this case a F650 GS?

I remember seeing an article with excelent pictures when I was searching for bikes, but never made a note of the website - I thought it was via autotrader or MCN but I can't seem to find it.

:bowdown:

If I could be cheeky, and ask if someone could get back to me today, as I am going to inspect / collect the bike tomorrow - cheers.

Steve.

·
Registered
145 Posts
First checks should be documents & Vin/Engine numbers. You want FSH & all the old MOT's to back the mileage up.
Then..
Put your hand on the exhaust & make sure it's cold then try a cold start, Fuel tap on & a bit of choke & it should start Without twisting the throttle.
Check the chain & sprockets for wear - Chip the guys price if they need replacing soon.
Check around the frame for any signs of crash damage.
Site the front & back wheels to check alignment.
Shake the swinging arm to see if there's any play.
Whilst on full stand lean back & test the steering for any notches/stick bits.
Check all the grips/switches etc around the bars & make sure they are tight & don't move.
Check the tyres for uneven wear or castleation (sp?)
Check the discs for a ridge around the outside to see if there is any wear or they may need replacing.
Jump up & down on the rear shock & make sure it settles back down nicely Without any bouncing.
Do the same with the front forks & check for any leaks or any pitting on the chrome stansions.
Pull the clutch in & out slowly feeling for any notches, It should be as smooth as silk.

Think that about covers it but somebody may ad something I've missed.

·
R.I.P.
6,931 Posts
Put your hand on the exhaust & make sure it's cold then try a cold start, Fuel tap on & a bit of choke & it should start Without twisting the throttle.

Think that about covers it but somebody may ad something I've missed.
All good stuff, except that the GS has Fuel Injection, so follow the starting procedure detailed in a previous post by myself :riding:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
145 Posts
Cheers for the correction Wilbur & How the **** did I miss out the HPI check so Cheers to Tony an all. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
And view the FAQ's on here, some common issues, but if bike serviced regularly and properly and not butchered by idiot owner (as with any bike) you will get a lot of miles and smiles . . . . . . . . . .
Why these bikes are ridden huge mileages round the world:riding:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.