BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 650 GS Dakar (2001) spluttered and stopped yesterday. AA man says its fuel pump, hits it with a hammer comes back to life for 3 secs then dies again. Checked all fuel lines, filters , drained fuel, cleaned out. Electrics ok, got a spark and compression. What else do I not know??

Cleaned out the system, do I really need to buy a new £190+ fuel pump, or is it something else. Please help....cheers guys. dc

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
A spark and compression is nice but without fuel there is nothing to ignite. So make sure that the pump is running.

Ton

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

Yeah, someone said that you can here the fuel pump on ignition, but I hear no sound, how do I know the fuel pump is working? Thanks dc

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Hi
I suppose if the pump has a feed and an earth and it doesn't run when you start the engine the pump is faulty? Surely if the bike has been left for a night the fuel pressure will have dropped and the pump should work then when the ignition is switched on.
Ton

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good deduction, I ve been round and checked the earth, she had travelled 65miles with no problems before suddenly stopping. I m not sure how to check if the fuel pump is working? Is there any way of checking the fuel pressure?

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Did you check the resources too? I suppose if you take the fuel filter off and drain it and put it back again the first thing that would happen is that the pump fills up the filter when you try and start up again. If it doesn't do it the pump must be gone.

Ton

·
R.I.P.
6,931 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Simple test of fuel pump would surely be just disconnect the fuel line going to the injectors, or some place convienant after the pump and then turn ignition on. If fuel pumps it is working, if not go to plan B, connect a power supply straight from the battery to the fuel pump, this would test if the supply is faulty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Reply to All. Thanks

Thanks to everyone throwing ideas.

Yeah The battery is fully charged ( got the full 12V )
The bike stopped after 2 hrs of motorway riding.Fully charged.

I went through all the connections, (electrics)and cleaned out dryed out all terminals. In case.

There is nt any noise from the pump, but I do nt know where the pump relay is? The BMW mechanic says its commonly the filter before the pump, but I have accepted that I need to get it in to my local garage.

They have told me that to check the relays first do a electrical check and then follow the fuel system check.This will point to the relay then pump.??

This bike is being prepared for a Mongolia trip to Vladivostok next June, so I would like to thank everyone for all ideas suggested. It needs to be right. My mechanical skills need to improve before then so the winter will be used for head in books.

Thanks everyone. DC

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
The position of the relay is not important as you only need to know if you have power and an earth to the pump. And if there was no power then you start the search for a relay. Usually relays make a noise too when they work. Anyway problem will be sorted son now I hope. To improve the mechanical skills it might be a good idea to not just keep your head in books.

Ton

1 - 11 of 11 Posts