BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my exhaust is in a pretty bad shape, the aluminum near the rivets is giving out.

i was thinking, instead of taking the rivets out and finding a way of fixing it, can't i just weld the entire thing shut?

i won't ever need to open it, i removed all of the wool lining and the baffler, i don't see why else i would need to open my exhaust?

welding it shut would also keep everything much cleaner, the red silicone used for sealing inbetween the rivets so gases don't escape doesn't really last long. especially if you got some backfire

i'm gonna take it to a welder as i suck at welding aluminum. should i remove the rivets or just have him weld everything leaving the rivets?

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
That may be expensive, you could always just put new rivets in between where the other rives are.
Seems that it must have been bouncing about a fair bit, are you sure there are enough support brackets. I can only see one near the middle of the muffler, that would allow a lot of movement over bumps.
Possibly move the clamp, have one further forward and one further back. Or get some tabs welded to the muffler so it bolts to the frame better.
It is an aftermarket muffler so does not have the supports in the right places.
Good luck
Pete

1 - 2 of 2 Posts