BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bmw f650 funduro 1997

correct spec: 0.10 - 0.15 mm

one of my exhaust valves i can fit a 0.15mm quite easily in but not a 0.20mm in, adjustment needed?

the other exhaust valve i can fit a 0.15 but i really have to push it in, so no adjustment is needed

then one of my intake valves, i can shove a 0.08 feeler gauge in, not a 0.10. too tight by 0.02.

so there are a few things i'm wondering. the shim adjustment seems quite complicated, not sure i can tackle the job, probably would have to take it to a machanic

can i keep riding for a while like this? is the adjustment needed? on both? or only the intake valve?

i heard valves get tighter with time, so the exhaust one might not be an issue?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Valve clearances change but all sorts of factors come in to it;
Valve seat wear (causes gap to close up)​
Valve bucket \ shim wear (causes gap to open)​
Cam bearing wear (causes gap to open)​
Cam lobe wear (causes gap to open)​

The job is involved but not difficult but you must be methodical and have the correct equipment and be able to read a micrometer.

On those readings, I would not bother unless they change at the next inspection. I ran an early F650 for 30 000 km and never needed to do any valve clearances

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Valve clearances change but all sorts of factors come in to it;
Valve seat wear (causes gap to close up)​
Valve bucket \ shim wear (causes gap to open)​
Cam bearing wear (causes gap to open)​
Cam lobe wear (causes gap to open)​

The job is involved but not difficult but you must be methodical and have the correct equipment and be able to read a micrometer.

On those readings, I would not bother unless they change at the next inspection. I ran an early F650 for 30 000 km and never needed to do any valve clearances
ok - guess i'm gonna to my 2000km trip and change them with my gran pa, i'm a bit obsessed with maintenance so i think i'm gonna adjust them, wanna make sure my engine is running as well as it can

1 - 3 of 3 Posts