BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya
Does anyone have any experience generated recommendations for tyres suitable for a Super Moto style GS project ?

What are the pros & cons for this style of tyre :-D

Animo et fide

·
Registered
67 Posts
You really need to get 17" wheels to do it properly. There are no true SM tyres for anything other than 17" wheels.

I Work in the tyre industry and get asked this pretty much daily.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi thanks for the reply,

yes I know that the wheels are different, my question was more to anyone who had done the change, had a super moto of a different type or ran on tyres of the type that would be used on one

As an industry insider what are the SM tyres like in terms of quality and durability ? I am looking at 120/70 front on a 3.5x17 and 160/60 on a 4.25x17 at back.

Anyone out there done this yet ??

Animo et fide

·
R.I.P.
6,931 Posts
S&M

I converted my CCM404DS from trail bike to SM.

The 17inch wheels I acquired came fitted with Pirelli Dragons, the rear of which was sh*gged after 2k miles :whistle: .

The replacements were the SM version of my favourite Avon Distanzias, which were still going strong when I sold the bike :-( about 3k miles later.

I have seen a couple of GSs with 17 inch front wheels, but have yet to get a ride on one :think: maybe a test ride on the new G650 Moto. Now their's a thought, what tyres are they fitting to them?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was going to suggets Avon Distanzia SM's... Good milage and handle very well. Used to use them on the bikes at the California Super Motard School.

SM Tyres tend to have a slower speed rating than "standard" 17" tyres, they are lighter and the milage might suffer a little but to be honest if you are a smooth rider you can keep the milage up regardless.

Conti do a reasonable pair of SM tyres too and they are quite cheap.

·
R.I.P.
6,931 Posts
Thrud said:
I was going to suggets Avon Distanzia SM's... Good milage and handle very well. Used to use them on the bikes at the California Super Motard School.

SM Tyres tend to have a slower speed rating than "standard" 17" tyres, they are lighter and the milage might suffer a little but to be honest if you are a smooth rider you can keep the milage up regardless.

Conti do a reasonable pair of SM tyres too and they are quite cheap.
I bought mine from them at NEC 2005. Good tyres at a good price :-D .

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A couple of interesting points have come up in the sends today.

What is the difference between a SM tyre and a standard sport bike road 17" tyre.

Why are SM tyres of softer compound than sport bike tyres ?

Why would you compromise the longevity of a tyre simply to reduce the unsprung weight ?

Animo et fide

·
Registered
67 Posts
SM bike are generally lighter than sports bikes. The tyres do not need to cope with the sheer grunt of sports bikes.

The manufacturers cannot make "Magic Tyres".. Grip levels of a supersport tyre, milage of a bone hard tourer and wet grip of a sports tourer... You can't have everything, sorry. Grip or milage, some tyres try to do both but there will allways be a certain ammount of compromise.

The tyre companies looked at how SM bikes are generally ridden and designed the tyre to suit, lighter, slightly softer to give the feel and slide SM riders like.

·
R.I.P.
6,931 Posts
Thrud said:
SM bike are generally lighter than sports bikes. The tyres do not need to cope with the sheer grunt of sports bikes.

The manufacturers cannot make "Magic Tyres".. Grip levels of a supersport tyre, milage of a bone hard tourer and wet grip of a sports tourer... You can't have everything, sorry. Grip or milage, some tyres try to do both but there will allways be a certain ammount of compromise.

The tyre companies looked at how SM bikes are generally ridden and designed the tyre to suit, lighter, slightly softer to give the feel and slide SM riders like.
A darn fine job they do too :cool: . Certainly brought out the HOOLIGAN in me :big grin: .

Best compliment re the CCM was at my Rugby Club, where the 1st team Coach suggested "it's a bit young for you" :whistle: .

As to the bargain hunting Amino, my ancestry is frae North o' the Border ye ken, we're no mean...we're careful.

:riding:

·
Registered
463 Posts
Hi there
yeh ive done what your asking on my dakar
4.25 on the back and 3.5 on the front
its a fantastic feeling
cant remember the tyre name exactly but something like BT (W?)s
will check
anyway i have a pair excel rims both 17 inchers
tell you what im over 6ft but its great to sit on a dakar with your feel flat,
its like a bmx or something and still with all the qualities that i love my bike for except off road maybe .
V.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts