BMW F650 Forums banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi guys

Took my 2012 650 out today, not been using it a great deal lately and when putting it away in my garage i put it on my workramp. I ride it in, put the front wheel up the ramp onto the ramp then turn off with the kill button, i then shimmy the back end round so it's straight to go up the ramp then fire up again whilst still in gear and clutch it up the ramp. I then turn off the ignition with the key, today was slightly different as i left the bike ticking over for about 3 minutes then turned it off. For the first time i have seen it, it came up with "IGN OFF" then when i turned the ignition back on "CHK ABS" on for about 5 seconds then the time clock and trip bothe re-set when the dash came back on and the clock did it's re-set sweep.
Like i said, never done it before and the bike has done 3500 miles in my hands and the fuses and battery terminals are all fine.
Has anyone found the fix to this problem yet??

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
You made me realise that my Sertao didn't have this fault at all last summer. After my experiences of it I feel that it is RF (Radio Frequency) interference. Possibly even WIFI. Tesco petrol stations seem to cause havoc with many cars and bikes - fro starting. I have had the fault twice in one station near Manchester. At home it has occurred once....
So, still not sure. But think it's something to do with the alarm system/engine circuits and interference. Bloody annoying!
Cheers
Col

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok, i have been right through everything, checked fuses, even used a powerful magnifying glass to check them, checked & re-checked battery terminals, checked battery, battery drain e.t.c., checked dash, socket & pins on dash, plug for dash, wires, wiring & pins for dash, re-checked wiring to dash, checking wiring for continuity & insulation and everything looks& checks fine. Checked system for faults & no faults. I just hope this was a random one off and won't come up again. You guy's might be right about some kind of interference but mine has no alarm or immobiliser system.
I would like to see if any others have had any experiances.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem and this thread was super helpful, so created an account to share what was wrong with my G650GS.

Problem: Whenever I turned the key from any off the off positions to ON, the screen would show IGN OFF and go through a few checks before lighting up the instrument panel. It reset the clock and trip odometer every time. Sometimes when I turned the bike off with the key (even if I stopped the engine with the kill switch) it showed IGN OFF for a while. But bike would always start up - so might be a bit different than the problems some of you are facing.

Solution: The 10A fuse that powers the instrument cluster was corroded on the actual fuse pins. It was no obvious from looking at the outside, but pulling the fuses made it immediately clear. I pulled all fuses, cleaned the fuse box with electronics contacts cleaner and a little wire brush, and replaced any fuses that had corrosion (just the 10A one for me). Bike now starts up fine every time.

As is probably clear from this thread: More generally I think this issue is caused by some sort of electrical fault between the battery and the dash/screen.

Hopefully anyone else looking at this has as easy a time fixing as I have.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts