BMW F650 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Right on, RCE. Dealer checked and found a loose battery connection. Problem solved. 1000 kms trouble free since then. Thanks.
I felt he had the obligation to take the cover off and let him handle all of it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I haven't had any poblems with battery disconnections but the first time I took off the battery for a refill I noticed that both terminals were somewhat loose. I put a serrated lock washer on each and the problem disappeared. Just be sure no to put the washer between the battery terminal and the cable terminal to avoid electrical connection issues. I put them between the battery terminal and the locking nut.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The plot thickens... I have filled up with petrol twice at Prestich - Manchester - Tesco's fuel station. Withing 2 weeks and on both occaisions the dash reset itself, just after switching off the ignition!

So. The only thing I can imagine is that some kind of radio interference causes the reset!

Weird stuff!

·
"Opinionated? Moi?"
982 Posts
"I put them between the battery terminal and the locking nut." - there's no other way for this type of washer, Calambres, noting that the design idea is that the serrations dig into the back of the nut and the surface underneath it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
There's no problems with the battery terminals or connections on my bike. It has to be outside interference - it were loose bits the problem would re-occur when being shaken or on rough terrain...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think i may have the same problem, the clocks stay blank and seem to take ages to come on altough the headlight is on. Then when they eventually come on (probably only a 5 sec delay) the clock and trip counters have been reset altough the mileage is ok.

This has only happened a few times so far, did you ever discover the root of the problem?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Hi Chello
I don't think it is loose connections - battery or the speedo head unit, or wasn't in my case. I really think it's radio interference - I suspect from key fobs for ignition systems, Wifi or even mobile phones... No idea! Did wonder where or what part of the system you could shield. Perhaps wrap the ignition parts in silver foil or something...
Probably never know, and I don't think BMW care.
Cheers
Col

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Col
It happened again today, this time i noticed the dash said "IGN OFF" before i turned the key. Then once i turned it on it went through a re-boot.

Strange as it seems it's happened 4 times now, twice at work and twice at a petrol station. I may call BMW as its still got 12mths on the warrenty just to see what they have to say although i'm sure i'm going to get the "loose battery terminal" answer or some other rubbish.

The thing is i can't see it being a loose connection as the bike starts fine.

I'll let you know if i have any joy.

Thanks, Chello

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Hi Chello
Yep, that's exactly what I'm talking about... wasn't by any chance a Tesco petrol station was it? As that's where this problem seems to hit cars and bikes most!
Hope you get an answer!
Cheers
Col

·
Registered
365 Posts
There I was all smug and cocky and bugger me I went for a ride on Saturday and BINGO the very same symptoms.:mad:.
Still got five months of warranty left so will be ringing Jeffries to ask some questions as this is not an isolated incident obviously.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Guys

How far do you ride each day?

The reason i ask is that my daily commute is only 8 miles each way and as i don't have a battery optimiser running on her at night I wonder if the battery just doesn't get enough charge.

Does this even sound feasible? When it happens it's like the battery has been disconnected and it needs to go through a start up sequence.

Am i just clutching at straws? :dunno:

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yep, I have mine on an Optimate and the batt is fully sparked up before the ride, then I rode 116 miles and it still went wonky

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Don't think that even if slightly discharged the system would disconnect and reconnect etc... I am convinced that there's more to it than that. An Optimate is a great idea though - especially if the bike gets laid up - like mine for long periods.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a Optimate 4 on my Triumph speed triple as it's laid up, but as i use my GS every day for commuting i didn't bother. But as it's only 8 miles to work i was thinking that the battery wasn't getting enough charge on each run.

I might give it a go as she doen't get any decent long runs in the winter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Guys

My bike started leaking fuel yesterday so i called out bmw recovery as i was at work. A bmw service tech guy turned up and changed the seal in the tank which appeared to have been fitted incorrectly at the factory and had developed a split, thus leaking fuel after i filled up.

Anyway i told him about the issue with the dash we've all been having and he said he'd never heard of it before, he checked out the battery connections ect and couldn't find any issue. He did say he'd heard of some cars having a problem with their imobiliser caused by radio waves or some such interference but never a bike and he did say that the systems on our G650GS is very basic and couldn't see how they could be affected by mobile masts ect.

Still no clearer then although i haven't had it happen in nearly a week now. :dunno:

21 - 40 of 45 Posts