BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks - my G650GS (Sertao) has twice now done this annoying fault - the trip counters & clock re-setting when ignition switched on... intermittent fault.

The Odo keeps it's mileage, it just zeros the damn trips and resets the clock.

Any solutions please? I'm phoning Williams about it anyway, it happened before the first service but they didn't say anything about the problem - I guess the plug in computer-my-bob should tell of any faults??

Cheers
Col

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was my first check - many thanks, also at the first service they said sometimes the plug at the back of the speedo can be not fully pushed in... it was fine though.
Cheers
Col

·
Registered
136 Posts
Not Kidding you, I had exactly the same problem on my F650GS Dakar after I had changed the front headlight bulb.
After a week of no success trying to fix it, I pulled off the headlight bulb plug and put it back on again.
Hey presto, problem fixed. I know it doesn't make any sense but it sorted my problem.

E

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Erich - will get stuck in tomorrow AM and see what's what! Hope it sorts it. Will report back.
Cheers
Col

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you Brian
Ah - not sure if it's recalibrating it, how do you recognise that please?
Am going to remove/replace headlamp and check that fuses are nice and snug in holders.

Cheers
Col

·
Registered
998 Posts
Thank you Brian
Ah - not sure if it's recalibrating it, how do you recognise that please?
Col
Every time I've powered down my instruments ( battery off or cleaning the contacts ) I hear both needles being banged against the 0 stop. Just like the old Apple ][ disk drives did. I once moved the needles to mid scale and saw this happen.

At the same time the clock zeroed itself.

So I'm guessing a glitch when starting triggers the reset and so a possible fault on the circuit board. But if it starts you'll never hear that faint buzz.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Damned fault still occuring, so have asked BMW Williams to investigate and change clocks etc if needed. Once I get an answer on what the cause is will post.
Removing all fuses has no effect at all, so I wonder how the unit is protected!
Cheers
Col

·
Registered
28 Posts
OOh, that would annoy me no end, as my trip meter is what I use for a fuel gauge. Hope you get it sorted.
And it's now happened to me :mad: and I was trying to work out fuel consumption. :mad:

Right, I had been out for a ride, stopped at McDonalds, short ride to Tesco. Into carpark, stop, side stand down turn key and remove in one fluid movement as I jump off bike.

IGN
OFF

appeared on dash, and stayed on dash as I left bike.

As I returned to bike, and turned key, something like

CHK
ABS

and then everything on the LCD came on, like it was rebooting, and then, trip meters and clock had reset.

Annoying, but. whatever. Bike works :riding:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh dear! Sorry to hear this but that's the fault.... and the mechanics will say it's a loose connector at the back of the speedo, but it isn't. I do hope that BMW isn't/hasn't built a load of junk speedos....
If so, might replace when warranty ends with a repacement digital dash and get rid of the BM one.
Col

·
Registered
157 Posts
And it's now happened to me :mad: and I was trying to work out fuel consumption. :mad:

Right, I had been out for a ride, stopped at McDonalds, short ride to Tesco. Into carpark, stop, side stand down turn key and remove in one fluid movement as I jump off bike.

IGN
OFF

appeared on dash, and stayed on dash as I left bike.

As I returned to bike, and turned key, something like

CHK
ABS

and then everything on the LCD came on, like it was rebooting, and then, trip meters and clock had reset.

Annoying, but. whatever. Bike works :riding:
Read this popic of mine:

http://www.f650.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?11108-Mystery-codes

·
Registered
28 Posts
yup those photos are just what happened to me, I wonder if stopping the bike, using the engine kill switch, then turning the ignition key will help?

Why it should help, I've no idea, I don't actually know the first thing about bikes, other than how to ride them. :confused:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Am waiting for my bike to be returned from Williams BMW, took it yesterday and should of been back today. However, they have not returned it and not bothered to phone. It should have the hot starting job fixed and I'm hoping to have an answer on the dash board fault. Will get back when I know the result.
Cheers
Col

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Ok, got the bike back - they dropped it off yesterday, am off out to see if the hot start crap is sorted. Would you believe it, Williams needed to keep the bike another night as a spring had broken when they were doing the exhaust cam etc. But they didn't bother to let me know!
I've just rung them to chase up on the clock re-setting issue. The mechanic seems to think that it's a resistance - loading issue when the bike is cranking.... nonsense....! As I pointed out, it sometimes happens when the bike is sleeping, ign off and key out!
He'll get back to BMW.... and round and round we go!
Hope this isn't going to be a long battle... because I'm getting a bit tetchy with BMW. I'd just change the clock as it's simple/fast and easy.
Col

PS. Went 12 miles... thought it ran like someone had stuffed a sock into the intake... it was dreadful and gutless! Mechanic had left the electrical lead-plug off the underside of the air intake. Now it works! Had to remove top and right covers off to see the fault.

·
Registered
8 Posts
2012 Sertao came back in the back of a towe truck tonight. It has 1500 kms on it... It had all the problems described here (check ABS, trip odometer reset...) except that the IGN OFF sign stays on the display even with the key is off the bike ! Nothing happens when I turn the ignition on. Waited 30 minutes and tried all sorts of things before calling roadside assistance. Not a good feeling... And this is in the middle of a long week-end here. Grrr ...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Even if the IGN OFF was still displayed on the screen, my Sertao started first thing this morning, as if nothing occured. My clock (as expected) and my trip meter have been reset by the computer. I will refrain from using the kill switch until the problem has been identified. Kinda weird ...

·
Registered
191 Posts
IGN OFF is displayed if the battery is disconnected, then reconnected, message clears when the ignition turns on.

Found out when I disconnected battery to fit a power socket.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts