BMW F650 Forums banner

Trade in value

Tags
trade
4K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  NI650 
#1 ·
Hi, I just asked one of the mainland dealers to give me an estimate of what it would cost to change my 7500 mile May 04 GS (non ABS with high & std screen, HGrips, H Guards, full bmw luggage / liners and touratech eng / fairing bars) to a new ABS 1150GSA with full luggage, HGrips eng bars etc.

They said they would need ?7500.00 to change :shock:

If you work out the price of the 1150 package, they are allowing me around ?3500.00 on my GS.

This means I have effectively lost nearly ?2500.00 in 9 months.

That news, on top of my local dealer (who I bought the bike from) telling me he would not be particularly happy trading my bike in because of the extraordinarily high mileage :wall:

One of the reasons I bought the F was the supposedly high BMW residuals, not happy :-( :-( :-( :-(

Has anyone done similar and actually got a good deal??????

Mike.

See less See more
#2 ·
I asked about trade in on my Scarver and was gobsmacked when they said it was worth only half what I paid for it. I asked why and they said it was because it is a high milage bike. 12500 at the time in 2.5 years. High milage ? Thats what BMW's are supposed to be for, so thats most definitely not high!!

G
#3 ·
I have been offered a good discount on a F650GS from one dealer on a bike that has been pre registered in dec.Is this likely to be a demo model.

Also if the new reg come out in March, would it be worth waiting till late feb early march?

G
#4 ·
I have been offered a good discount on a F650GS from one dealer on a bike that has been pre registered in dec
BMW offered 500quid to dealers to register bikes before xmas this year. This discount had been passed on to customers - ie me!!

I think BMW did this in 2003 also, as I saw a brand new pre registered CS going cheap February 2004 at a BMW dealership.

G
#5 ·
They make me laugh....What the hell do we buy bikes for..to ride or look at :shock: I dont think I have ever had a good deal from any dealer,when i have been trading in.Now once i have bought a bike im not botherd what its worth,all i want to do is ride it,then when its time to sell I will ring around all the dealers,to see which will buy the bike{ No Trade IN } and who ever gives me the best price gets it.I must say that Bath road bought my Dakar,and he gave me a better cash price than any other dealer in the UK,you may want to give him a ring.
Or sell your bike yourself on ebay ,and then look at buying another bike.
At the moment BM have more people wanting the GSAs than they are making.
If you dont have to have a brand new one,you should be able to pick up a one or two year old bike fully kitted out for a good price.One of the chaps that went on the ride out on the 27/12/04,was trading in a one year old GSA because he wanted to have one in Marsh this year being that it is ment to be the last year they will be made,they had offerd him ?6800,on a 1 year old bike with very low millage,That to me would be a great buy.

I was thinking of doing the same ,but for the extra ?3000 it would cost me to change from a 2 year old GSA to a new GSA,seems to me pointless, :think:
I could do 3 touring trips for that sort of money..
Think I will keep my bike and spend my money on Petrol :mrgreen:

#6 ·
It's the sameold story as Cars...and there is one simple rule i have always followed with bikes and cars and i have saved a fortune...

Buy used (even if only 6-12 months old) and sell privately.

I do not agree with the Dealer pricing policy but remember it is the Manufacturer you have to blame.

If you are loaded then buy new but if not IMHO you would have to be mad to purchase any veh/bike new as we all know they depreciate most the second you drive them from the showroom. :doh:

#7 ·
I noticed an article in TWO recently which implied that dealers calculate that the "usual" annual mileage for a bike is between 3000-3500 miles. Obviously those sports bike riders must spend more time sitting round in cafes talking about their bikes than they do riding them. :whistle: PB

#8 ·
lamurada, you are right about buying one or two year old bikes,there is a definate saving to be had. The only problem I have with SH bikes is that every one I have owned has had some cack handed tit working at it, it hasn't been serviced properly or has had some type of hidden bodge job done on it.

Do it once, do it right.

Mike.

#9 ·
Mike

Did you go back to Hursts for the trade in value.

They told me when i bought mine that they always allow high trade ins when comming back with a 650GS and trading up as the 650 was used to get people hooked on the BM then to upgarde to an 1150,

Probably just some waffle they spin you to buy the bike in the first place.

If hursts have an 1150 up there as a test I would get a tade in price for mine against it - I have only 3900 on mine, it would show if the mileage makes a difference.

#10 ·
carphone said:
The only problem I have with SH bikes is that every one I have owned has had some cack handed tit working at it, it hasn't been serviced properly or has had some type of hidden bodge job done on it.
That is why I do my own servicing so I know it's been done properly. My bike had a full service history when I bought it and having worked on the bike myself I realise the history is worthless. I'm still finding bodge jobs that "some cack-handed tit" somewhere in its history has done.

#11 ·
Paul, It was Hursts who told me they would be reluctant to trade in my F and SPC who estimated the awful trade in price.

It would be interesting to see what Hursts offer you for yours, if they would even trade it in as it also has quite high mileage going by Hursts standards.

Guy goes into Hursts to trade in a 1 year old 1150 Dakar that has 980 miles on the clock, the salesman asks "did you not like the bike?" guy replies "are you joking!! I have put nearly 1000 miles on it!!

TRUE story. :doh:

They tell me that most of their customers would not look twice at a bike like mine with such "high mileage" and that is why they would be reluctant to trade it in / give me a poor price for it.

Don't get me wrong, the customer service in Hursts is excellent, the sales guys and the guys in parts bend over backwards to make sure I get everything I need, and I do get discount on most stuff. The same cannot be said of most other bike dealers in our area.

When I bought the F I was considering a new Transalp as an option. The owner of the Ballymena Honda shop could not be bothered to quote me for the bike with grips, high screen, top box, panniers etc. Needless to say I went to Hursts and they produced me with an itemised quotation for all that I wanted.

Swings and roundabouts!!!!

Mike.

#13 ·
Mike

here is what I got quoted from Hursts today.

They have a 2000 - 1150gs black at ?6195

To change from my 650 they want ?2400.

So they would be allowing me something in the region of ?3795 .

It was goint to be ?2700 until I metioned the paniers, tank bag and hand guards

dont know how this compares.

Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.