BMW F650 Forums banner

Trade in price? - (on '05 F650GS)

10K views 40 replies 18 participants last post by  Guest 
G
#1 ·
I've been offered 4,600 on my bike which has abs, heated grips, engine protectors, hazard lights, and tall screen against a GS 1200 - This is with the bike going in november - bike was registered to me first owner in June- hoiw does the trade in price sound? fair or not?

#8 ·
Nadeem,
If that's what you really want to do its a good price. 5700 paid less the vat of ?849 represents a loss of only ?351. When you buy new, you lose the VAT as soon as you ride it out of the showroom. :wall:
Are you still going to do the off-road course in Wales ? I would wait and decide what to do after the course, get to know what the G.S. is really capable of, and learn you're own limitations !

Good luck
Highlander

G
#10 ·
oh and I'll still be doing the off road course at some stage...not for a while by the looks of things though as I've been diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in both hands and will be having surgery on them on the 24th of this month - recovery period is about a month or so and nothing too heavy after that.... :-(

#14 ·
Best wishes with the surgery Nadeem, and for a speedy recovery.
One consolation is that youre not missing a great summer!
You'll need to be in good shape for the offroad course - I found it especially tiring on the hands and wrists. But some of the best fun I've had on 2 wheels. :dance:

#15 ·
Nadeem,

Hope surgery goes well and leave it a good long while for recovery before trying the off-road course. Due to the way you spend the weekend at the biting point using two fingers, the tendons in your left wrist will have to work very hard.

I just came back from the course and it is fantastic fun (and very tiring.) I also tried the 1200 for the first time and while I still want one have decided to wait a little - the course taught me a lot about my riding (and its limitations) - I'm still limping! :doh:

Regards

Darius

#17 ·
I'd be very interested in your report too. I swear by the 650gs in London traffic, i don't think i could handle throwing the weight of the 1150gs around soho streets with taxis, bike couriers, people and busses jumping out at me. Parking the 650gs is also a dream, with the centre stand it's the same as a scooter. I reckon the 1150gs would take up 2x650 spaces without a centre stand. I'd only get the 1150 if i did real serious 2 up touring. But then again the 650gs handled 2up+luggage France and Spain 3000miles in stride.
Sounds like the trade in is v good deal.
I'm off camping this weekend, packing the bike tonight. I love the 650gs city slicker one day, country bum the next.
Whichever you end up choosing Nadeem, have fun!
w

#18 ·
Nadeem said:
I've been offered 4,600 on my bike which has abs, heated grips, engine protectors, hazard lights, and tall screen against a GS 1200 -
Sounds reasonable to me, though when it comes to commuting, in general smaller is better. Going through London, I'd prefer a 125cc bike over even a 500 or 600 never mind a 1000+cc bike. On the motorway bigger is better, purring along at 3,000 -> 4,000 rpm with another 5 k available. You lose the fuel efficiency with a big bike and running costs tend to be quite a bit higher (e.g. 4k - 5k or less on a rear tyre). For me, the F650 is a good compromise between light weight, maneuverability, efficiency, torque, power, cost.

Take a look at the amount of time you spend going through traffic compared to empty motorway.

G
#19 ·
Thanks wernski,

Mr P I commute in from Kent and 2/3 of my journey is on the A2, the last 4 miles are heavy traffic hence why I want to try out the 1200 on my normal route first - If I find it to be too cumbersome - I'll stick to the 650...

G
#20 ·
K said:
Best wishes with the surgery Nadeem, and for a speedy recovery. One consolation is that youre not missing a great summer!
Let us know when you are being surgically removed from the road, Nadeem, for that is certainly when the Summer will start and we can all go riding :dance:

I think I have Carpal Tunnel as well, by the way. Numb hands, painful wrists very soon after you start riding.
My Doc said it could be either trapped nerves in neck, or lack of Vitamin B12, or Carpal Tunnel. Went for Xray, they said my neck was 'Worn Out' -thanks, I'm 'only' 54 - took a blood test - lack of V12 so come for 5 consecutive injections of it, and go for an undisclosed number of months of physiotherapy.
Hmm, my idea of V12 is a decent Jaguar. Now where can I get a doctor to prescribe me one of those for ?7.50? :whistle:

G
#21 ·
well I'm now booked in for the 18th of August and it will be at least 2-3 weeks before I can ride again....yep you're right that will undoubtedly be when the constant sunshine will start and I'll be stuck on the train wedged in between the doors and angry commuters....

#22 ·
Nadeem, I commuted for 6 years to London from Chatham on Various bikes including an R650 Twin which was to awkward for London Traffic. Look at the bikes that dispatch riders use. The F650 is about right for your use, the 1200GS will slow down progress in traffic filtering (I had a Pan-European for 2years). The petrol consumption on a 1200gs is nothing to write home about and they use oil for the first 20,000 miles.
A good friend of mine has just traded down to a Honda Deauville for the above reasons.
But Biking is about fun so nothing else matters if you get hooked on it.
Good luck with the Hands
See you sometime
Dave

#24 ·
Nadeem. A word of caution, don't try to go back to work or do too much too soon after the OP, as you will only get the one chance to recover from it. Rest and physio are the best way back to full use and after all you would not want to hear the words "sorry mate you are going to have to give up motorbikes" now would you??

G
#25 ·
Dave Weller said:
The F650 is about right for your use, the 1200GS will slow down progress in traffic filtering.
Thanks Dave will bear all you have said in mind, I will have a better idea after my test day tomorrow, I really need to get a feel for the bike first before I make a decision.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.