BMW F650 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My F650 is not throttled, has run just under 30 000 miles, is from 1999. Top speed is actually not so important to me, but if the stated top speed is reached, it is a sign of a healthy engine. The bike runs well, revs cleanly and has stable idle. Valve clearance is adjusted.
Yesterday I was on the A7 (Germany), due to the closure of the Elbtunnel it was empty north of Hamburg, so I set the throttle to 90° and waited. At speedometer 160 and 6000 rpm no further acceleration could be achieved, according to GPS 145 km/h (91 mph). Now I'm big and wide, but it should be a little more, right?

When servicing the air filter I was perhaps a little generous with the air filter oil that could perhaps throttle the throughput?

·
Registered
106 Posts
what size sprockets do you have ? mines geared for more off road and revs out at about 90 on the speedo not gps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My F650 is not throttled, has run just under 30 000 miles, is from 1999. Top speed is actually not so important to me, but if the stated top speed is reached, it is a sign of a healthy engine. The bike runs well, revs cleanly and has stable idle. Valve clearance is adjusted.
Yesterday I was on the A7 (Germany), due to the closure of the Elbtunnel it was empty north of Hamburg, so I set the throttle to 90° and waited. At speedometer 160 and 6000 rpm no further acceleration could be achieved, according to GPS 145 km/h (91 mph). Now I'm big and wide, but it should be a little more, right?

When servicing the air filter I was perhaps a little generous with the air filter oil that could perhaps throttle the throughput?
Not really, I am on a Funduro 99 model and get just over 100mph, I am short and weigh 80kg, I have a touring screen too. So for your size I would not be too worried.
I you want to make the bike faster then I suggest by an HiFlo Air filter, Dynojet Carburettor kit and a decent after market exhaust. But this will effect your miles per gallon.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Not really, I am on a Funduro 99 model and get just over 100mph, I am short and weigh 80kg, I have a touring screen too. So for your size I would not be too worried.
I you want to make the bike faster then I suggest by an HiFlo Air filter, Dynojet Carburettor kit and a decent after market exhaust. But this will effect your miles per gallon.
Will it exceed 6,000 rpm in the lower gears? If not revs sound restricted, check valve clearance, worn carb jets/needles , float levels, if not done so already.
my later Dakar pulls to red line in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, pretty close to red line in 4th , but I upped gearing from 15t to17t on gearbox sprocket. 2 up with paniers, top box, pulled indicated 110mph, against measured mile previously, reckon that's about 100- 103mph.

Reactions: Dakardave

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think a sprocket change would probably be your best bet or at least somewhere to start before trying anything else. They are not that expensive either really.
My bike is a 2006. It tops out at 114mph standard. By adding an extra tooth to the front sprocket it just about touches 120mph on a good run. No pillion or baggage. Im 14 stone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts