BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the bike is annoyingly stalling at low rpm, had it before and always cured with the correct starting process. Unfortunately I can't get rid of it this time and wanted to try the whole throttle reset procedure.

Does anyone know the actual actions to take? I've read on here that you slowly fully open and close the throttle 3 times but do I then Start the bike, or do it switch off the ignition and then go through the normal starting process, or do the whole thing once the bike has started !!

Of course the problem may be something else, it has just has a service and had the plug replaced so?

Any help or advise would be great.

Thanks
Phil

·
Registered
141 Posts
"Ignition on (don't start it) twist the throttle slowly from full off to full on and back three times, ignition off. Then start as normal without twisting the throttle..."

That seems to have helped another member a while ago. Good luck mate.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Had the same problem. Replaced with a used TPS which I got off Ebay. Taken off various bmw car models but same part number 13631436000. Took about 7 days to arrive from Latvia. Costs less than £20. I also made an offer for it and got it that bit cheaper.
Local shop fitted it for me and cleaned a bit of crud from the throttle body somewhere with some cleaner. So far so good - Time will tell
Heres the link if anyone is interested http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Used-BMW-e36-316i-Z3-e36-e46-318i-m43-Throttle-Valve-Switch-13631436000-/161074548513?hash=item2580ca8f21:m:m50MutQuBKqBteUYndlHKCg

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jaseye, interesting. Would be good to know if the problem is solved long term

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Sorry chaps the throttle reset procedure is a myth. The only way to reset adaptations is with a gs911 or on BMW diagnostics.

The tps can get clogged and cleaning it can help with stalling issues.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Hi All
Sorry to butt in, but my old single spark used to suffer from rough running at times, then would be an issue not starting as cleanly as i would like, then it would start stalling.
What i used to do was disconnect the ECU, and leave it off overnight, put it back and then all would be good.
What i think this does is take any faults stored out and returns the ECU to default setting, meaning as it came out of the factory.
Used to work for me, but hey, V Strom owner now so you can tell me to go away !!!!!!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yes Joderest but its not a permanent fix. Need to fix it at the source instead of keep on having to do this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a go at the throttle re-set and to be honest found no improvement. What did help was removing the manifold and de gunging the idle solonoid assembly and the TPS. After that a new fuel filter/ regulator assembly helped a bit more.
These bikes do seem to suffer from a rough tick over, and I cant help but think it may be some of the reason BMW went to a twin spark setup. I have a zephyr 1100 thats twin spark and it has the smoothest tickover of any bike iv had.

Cheers

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks Jaseye, interesting. Would be good to know if the problem is solved long term
Well Ive not done a great deal of mileage since last November and all has been well - until yesterday. Same problem returned out of the blue. Runs fine, starts fine but no tickover. Left overnight as before and all is well once more this morning. 30 mile trip today and no problems. So its just a matter of time when it decides to do it again. Really pisses me off this kind of problem. I mean a faulty clutch you fix it. A broken cable you fix it but this is a fookin gremlin and I dont know what is causing it so I cant fix it. Love my bike most of the time but right now Im seriously not liking it at all - even considering a swap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts