BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
G'day all,
At 21,000ks I had the bushes replaced in the starter motor and now almost 10,000ks later it looks like they may need replacing again.
I had the mechanic run the mulitmeter over the battery and every thing looks fine there. He said that there may be a bit of dust built up under one of the bushes? I have a '95 f650 and am wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem?

Col.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
When mine sudenly didn't start and even stalled it was the battery terminal that had come loose on my F650

Ton

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply Ton. Well I tried all that to no avail so in the shop it goes and I'm waiting for a reply on what the damage will be, I'm not looking forward to it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all your support.
I've since found that there has been oil bypassing the oil seal on the starter motor. I pulled the starter motor off the bike (after considerable frustration with the mechanic, and I feel that he's been ripping me off), and took it into work so that the electrician there could have a look at it and he was surprised that it was working at all. We found a small tear in the seal and cleaned all the oil off the commutator and off I went looking for a seal at the local auto electrician's.
The Auto electrician was on the phone to his supplier and much to his, and my surprise the serial number on the seal doesn't match that starter motor.
So I'm left in a quandary, do I continue sourcing parts to fix the starter motor, look for a good 2nd hand one at the wreckers or bite the bullet and purchase a new one?
One question I would like to no is, for how many years did Denso supply BMW with starter motors as I might be able to get a good 2nd hand one at the wreckers off of a later model F650 and save me considerable expense buying a new one.
I'm' sure that there's someone out there with the information I'm after.

Have a merry Xmas and a happy new year everyone.

Col.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi

You have the BMW model that had been produced since 1993 till 2000. But the engine on your bike is made by Rotax and was being installed on quad Bombardier and Aprilia Pegaso 92-96 with minor diferences. It could be possible to find used starter from BMW or Aprilia at your local wreckers. When I ordered some parts from http://www.motorworks.co.uk/ I was told that they used to send some parts to Australia, they have lots of used stuff for our bikes.

Merry Xmas

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks *****,
Yeah they do have good stuff there and at good prices too I'll see how I go.
Cheers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.