To this................

Picked her up last week, fitted with off-road small tank in this pic

Yesterday.............

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gazza K said:
Very nice ! :cool:. How does the ride compare to the Dakar and 1150GS both on and off-road ?
No comparison Gazza..............

This bike is built for the job and the 1150 and Dakar's are a compromise to road going.

This bike will wheelie off the throttle (no clutch) in 1st and 2nd and jump 4-5' in the air and you only use half the fork/shock travel, with no bottoming

It's a retro HP2, but has better suspension than the stock HP2 - but has half the power, mine puts out 65hp, but is lighter, against 105 hp for a HP2

Going down this on an Adv, people were at walking pace, with assistance, whereas mine went down in 2nd gear, without even needing to put a foot down to steady yourself

·
Registered
650 Posts
Sounds real fun.

:funny: I haven't seen an image like that on any of the BMW promotional literature :-D

I reckon a GS/Dakar with TKC80's would be a little more elegant in it's descent ! We certainly tackled stuff more technical than that at the off-road school.

Looks like you've made a good purchase there. Shame you had to let the Dakar go. I guess a man can only ride so many bikes ! :dance:

G

·
JB's Dakar went to a good home Gazza... girlfriend Sue now has it, lowering to standard 650GS height with the Wilbers suspension from her written off GS (80,000 miles) :-D

JB... just half the suspension movement used in 5' jumps, bloody 'ell, you'll need a parachute when you get the hang of it :not worthy:

... and oxygen :big grin:

www.adventure.gs

·
Registered
334 Posts
Johnnyboxer said:
mine puts out 65hp, but is lighter, against 105 hp for a HP2
I'm assuming that's an R80 engine - the G/S was originally anyway. What's been done to get that power?

It certainly looks nice. I'm always looking out for a nice one of those. As you are finding - progress ain't all it's cracked up to be eh?

Take 2:

Forget it - just spotted your post over on the club forum. Neat!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fatmencantfly said:
your bike is stunning where did you get it from?
From Europe, as an import via special connections.
It was built new in 2005, in Germany and Belgium

Not many in the UK, maybe 1 other

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Barry Merchant said:
Johnnyboxer said:
mine puts out 65hp, but is lighter, against 105 hp for a HP2
I'm assuming that's an R80 engine - the G/S was originally anyway. What's been done to get that power?

It certainly looks nice. I'm always looking out for a nice one of those. As you are finding - progress ain't all it's cracked up to be eh?

Take 2:

Forget it - just spotted your post over on the club forum. Neat!

1000cc upgrade via Siebenrock kit and special Cam

Power is well up and will leave most Airheads

Also gearbox has been built by special tuners, HPN (they make BMW Rallye bikes and did a lot development for HP2) and has a lower 1st gear and longer 5th gear

1 - 11 of 11 Posts