BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Steering Head Bearings are a ?well worn? subject with the F650 but even I was shocked Friday to be told my 03 model needs to have new ones. It has only done 2,600 miles. Looks like you need to change the bearings at shorter intervals even than the oil?

The dealer, can only fit the BMW parts, so no doubt this will happen again. I was not pleased to be told by them that ?most F650?s from the factory have a similar problem? (funny that wasn?t mentioned when they sold me the bike). I was supposed to be reassured (but wasn?t) ?that they should last longer on the second set when we fit them, as we use more grease?

Work will be done under warranty but it?s another lost day?s holiday and a double 50 miles round trip? I love the bike but reckon this will be the beginning of the parting of ways as I will not be going through this nonsense again.

G

·
If you are prepared to purchase top-quality steering head bearings the BMW Dealer should fit them under the terms of the warranty. The cost of the bearings will be down to you, but the cost of fitting will be borne by BMW.

If your dealer refutes this tell then to check with 'BMW Customer Services' at Head Office as I have received information to say that doing this way is acceptable under the terms of the warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SHB failed at 2,600

Trevor
First a big thanks to you for the great work in setting up and maintaining this website. It's a great help.

Thanks for the informathion on the possible option to pay. My natural tendency would be to say no way, I have paid enough.... but if that is what it takes to avoid a rapid repeat of the problem then I will probably go that way (depending of course on how much it costs - I am from Yorkshire after all)

This is my fifth BMW (first F650) and I had been a satisfied customer. Now I am very disgruntled with BMW as a company. To subject your customers to a problem like this after only 2,600 miles of steady riding is not acceptable when all the information says that you've known all along that you have a problem but you leave it to the customers to suffer the consequences. My reaction was not helped by the Dealers lack of concern or apparent interest..... Anyway enough of the rant.

As I said I really do like the bike and wouldn't be thinking to change it otherwise... so could I ask if you know the Supplier and Part No. details of a better alternative bearing, or where I might go to track these down and then I'll decide what to do.
Thanks
Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.