BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quickie...

I am considering installing a (semi-) automatic chain lubrification device.
Any experiences here with ScottOiler (either vacuum or electronically operated) or Cobrra Nemo2 (mechanical / manual operation at the handlebars).

Personally I would op for the Cobrra as it just requires an oil line and a reservoir to be installed , nop tapping in to electrics or motor vacuum system , but perhaps someone here has hands on experience as to why (or why not) to install one or the other ?

Thanks

Dani

·
Registered
209 Posts
I had a Scottoiler on my f650gs and transferred it to my xt660z when I sold it. I too uhm'd and ah'd about what to get, there was another oiler called Torturo or similar and was basically a plastic bottle that you squeezed every now and then to lube the chain, I opted for the vacuum Scottoiler as apart from topping up the reservoir and adjusting the flow as the ambient temperature changed throughout the year, it is pretty much "fit and forget". Tapping into a vacuum pipe is pretty simple as all the parts needed are either supplied with the oiler or can be bought separately from Scottoiler.
I have no experience of the electric version but the only downside I have found is that if you sit with the engine running and you haven't set the drip rate right it will leave a little puddle of oil under the oil nozzle.
If I had to make the decision again I think, although it's a dearer option, I'd still go with the Scottoiler for it's ease of use, great backup from the manufacturer and the one I've got has so far been in constant use for 20years and the only part I've had to replace was the reservoir filler/breather bung due to the rubber perishing a couple of years back.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I installed a vacuum Scottoiler on my 2005 650GS (and onto my other bike too) about 5 years ago.
It is a bit of a pain drilling the intake boot for the nipple but not actually difficult and I've not had any problems since.

I commute daily all year and all weathers by bike so they've had a good test.

I put some paraffin in a spray bottle so I just damp a rag with it and wipe the chain over once/week. Only takes 2 mins as the scotoil isn't sticky like normal chain lube.

Chains look like new and I'm changing them quite early (ie not much stretch) at 18,000 miles each time.

I'd definitely recommend them.

Buzz

1 - 4 of 4 Posts