BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

two weeks ago I travelled to Holland, taking the ferry to Dunkerque. As I left the ferry, I had to ride through a good three inches of sea spray that accumulated on the boat's exit. That evening I washed the rims and engine of with cold water from one of the "Grachts" in Amsterdam :whistle: , hoping it would prevent any problems.
It was a cold weekend, so I presume, the salt of Dutch, Belgian, Franch and British motorways (together with more sea-salt to greet my return) didn't do the bike any good.

I still find the white powder in any crevice, and the damage on the rims is pretty bad. Anyone any ideas? I splashed buckets of cold water (don't have a hose) over it, but I guess the damage that's done is done. Can you polish the "craters" off the rims?

logan

G

·
Hi logan... I'd just spray and rub in WD40, Duck Oil or the likes, onto the rims and alloy. Polish by all accounts, but you'll be forever polishing.

Run my bikes through winter and each time I wash 'em I just spray with the oil... still as good as new! :riding:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers guys, just emptied my supplies of WD40 onto the bike.

Contemplating of buying shares of WD40, and then demanding of the government to put more salt on the roads! :dance:

·
Registered
722 Posts
>>WD40 onto the bike.<< It doesn't last long as protection. Waxoyl will last all winter and beyond. It collects muck but will keep the bike rust free.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts