BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please note if you have read this before it has been updated as the location has slightly changed.

For those of you in South Wales and the West here's a nice opportunity to meet up and have a ride on the tracks of the Gwyddon Forest, Near Abercarn, Gwent.

If you have an OS map of the Newport area (Landranger 171) the location is at grid ref ST 235958.

If you have a GPS and are able to transfer a file from your PC to the GPS here is a link to an 'mps' file of the location ... http://www.f650.co.uk/f650_temp/Gwyddon_Forest.mps - It opens in the Garmin 'MapSource' program I have installed on my PC.

Please refer to last years event to see what it was all about...
Click on -> http://www.f650.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=224

Here' Mike's latest email to me giving the location and other details ...

This year's event is being held on Saturday 12th June at The Gwddon forest Abercarn starting at 12:20 - !3:00 hrs. It's comprises an approx 4 mile course over forestry roads (private). Rear footpegs are necessary and a spare helmet is usefull. We expect 70/80 mentally handicapped children and adults to attend so be prepared to be busy! Free burgers and Squash is provided. The route ti the venue is marked from the A467 at Abercarn. (just 2 miles north of Cwmcarn scenic drive).

Look forward to meeting you all. If you need more info just email me at [email protected] or tel 01495 222 728

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Unfortunately I am booked up for this date, but I used to work with mentally handicapped children and can honestly say that if you get involved in this event you will be in for a wonderful day. The kids will make it for you.....brilliant!
:-D :-D :-D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's the entry in the magazine "Trail" which is the magazine for members of the "Trail Riders Fellowship" ...

Note the slight change of location if you've been before to OS grid ref ST 235958

"Trail Rides for the Mentally Handicapped."

Sat 12th June 2004 at The Gwyddon Forest, Near Abercarn, Gwent 12:30 hrs.

Mike Rees is once again organising his annual day out for mentally handicapped children and needs help from riders/bikes/sidecars/mobile sofa's etc. to take them on a four mile lap of forest trails. Rear footrests and a spare helmet needed. Free burgers and drink to all. Regulars please note this is a new venue (grid ref ST 235958) just 2 miles up the valley from last year but much better.

Guaranteed fun and some GOOD publicity for a change - Alun Michael + M.P.s invited.

More details from Mike on 01495 222728 or email [email protected]

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got a Scarver and I have a mate who has a bigger R 1150 would these bikes be suitable for the day?

Cheers
Otis

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I asked Mike Rees, (the Organiser), about the terrain .. as last year there were roads through the scenic forest to ride on with the "guests" aboard. He seemed to think that although the changed venue didn't have as many tarmaced surfaces, the tracks there were hard-packed and would be ok for road bikes.

I guess it depends on how much rainfall the area gets in the preceeding days, as to how suitable it is. :roll:

I may take a ride down there beforehand to see exactly what it's like, so If I do get the chance I' will report back.

Are there any locals to the area who know it well ?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Have been in touch with Mike and serious browney point collection is now underway to enable my particular Northern contingent visit to Cwncarn.

I saw this "event" posted last year and thought what a fantastic opportunity for anyone with a bike to "give something back" to a group that would really appreciate 'our' help. For such a minimal amount of effort on our part, we could bring such a brilliant day into the life of these children and adults.

Bikers get such a bad press these days, especially at the hands of Ms Street-Porter, but that in itself is NOT a good reason for going along to this. If you like motorcycling, if you would like to ride forestry tracks not normally open to the public, if you think making other people happy is quite a nice thing to do, I'm prepared to do a round trip of >400 miles to bring a smile on just 1 person's face. Come on guys & gals - South Wales - Saturday afternoon - barbeque and drinks - zillions of smiley, expectant faces...

or shall we wash the windows instead??? :?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Travel from Bristol

Anyone going from Bristol and would like to meet up for the journey there?

I am going to risk it with a CS... if the tracks are too rough for a road bike i can always heklp on the barbe!

Otis

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Otis (and others). I've asked Mike Rees (the Organiser) as to whether there are any Camping spots nearby, in case anyone wanted to ride down the night before and explore those parts of Wales, before participating in the event.

Depending on his reply I will either go on the Friday eve or on Saturday morning (from Bristol). I'm trying to put in my GPS a "scenic" route from Bristol to the location totally avoiding the Motorways (except the Bridge) and make the ride there something enjoyable rather than just a journey to get there. :dance:

I won't know till later this week which date I'm going, so I'll post on Friday the time I plan to leave, probably about 10.30am if I go down on the Saturday.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hi Trevor - any news on the camping front?
Just sorting shopping list for a 2 night camping trip (Fri - Sun). Will be bring my eldest lad (age 13) so need to sort a site with reasonable facilities which doesn't really have to be 'on the doorstep' - could be somewhere along the A49 that we'll be traversing.

Long range weather forecast looking a bit showery which is a pity - will have to do the "sun dance".

Tim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No answer from Mike Rees yet, from the email I sent a couple of weeks back. I've also left messages on his phone. I'm gonna do a 'google' search now, unless any of the guys from Wales know of anywhere nearby. ??

·
Registered
332 Posts
Thanks Jam Dak - the pictures look OK, will just have to check they 'allow' motorcyclists!!

cheers, Tim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just received a bit more info. Camping is also available at the Council run campsite at the 'Cwmcarn Scenic Drive', (2 miles down the road) or camping is available on the field at the venu itself BUT ... no toilets and the only running water is a babbling brook.

Also B&B at the Ynysddu Hotel 01495 200281 NUMBER HAS BEEN CORRECTED (Didn't catch the name as it was left on my mobile. I'm in sunny Brighton at the mo)

http://www.caerphilly.gov.uk/enjoying/countryside/countryparks/cwmcarnforestdrive.htm

·
Registered
332 Posts
The B&B is at the Ynysddu Hotel.

The "Handicapped Trail Ride" is due to start 13:00 through to around 16:30(ish).

I have booked in at the Cwncarn Forest Drive camp site (see Trevor's thread above) for Friday and Saturday nights - they are "quite busy" so book early if you intend going there.
The site has Showers, toilets, a laundry area plus kitchen with cooker and is ?10 for the tent for 2 nights plus a fiver deposit for the key to the facilities block. The office (01495 272001) is open 9-6.

Tim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My plans for going down to camp at Cmwcarn on Friday have been scuppered, after a 6 hours (plus) journey back from Brighton to Bristol (normally 3.5 hours), due to a monster crash on the A27. Anyway my trusty StreetPilot III GPS got me back, despite monster diversions.

I'm now leaving Saturday morning from Bristol, at around 9 to 9.30 then calling on TimC and his son who are camping at Cwmcarn for the weekend, then riding up to the Venue later, (a couple of miles up the road). If anyone want to contact me please text or call on 0781 061 3399.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just got home after meeting others from this group at the event - Tim Clamp (TimC) and his son who camped nearby - Simon (Otis) from Bristol on his F650 CS - Tony Holt (tony h.) from Dorset, plus two other guys on F650s.

I'm shattered after ridng round the 2-mile forest track 10 or so times with a disabled pillion on board. I guess Tim, Tony and Simon may have done more laps as I was busy with my camera. Don't believe it when anyone says a CS (Scarver) won't go off-road, as Simon proved several times that it can :riding: on nice loose gravely, sometimes a little rocky, sometimes like marbles, forest tracks, and not one stone flipped onto his belt (so it appears). There were a mix of bikes 'doing duty' from Yamaha Serow 225's up to a Honda Africa Twin, plus a sidecar outfit and the settee on a trailer pulled by a quad.

I'll post a couple of small images in the next couple of days.

·
Registered
332 Posts
CS's DO do dirt!!

See!!

As Trev said, CS's DO do dirt as Otis did a stirling job on some very, very loose gravel. An excellent weekend was had by all - got loads of piccies to prove it but thought this one was worthy to get posted first!

Definitely worth the 500 miles this weekend to see all the big smiles - riders and visitors! :-D See you there next year??

·
Registered
332 Posts
What more excuse do you need to go next year than to get on roads you wouldn't normally get to look at never mind tear along like a mad thing that's gone mad.

((Think I need a decent caption for this shot - any offers?)That's Trevor sneaking his new GSA into the shot btw!)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts