BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am posting this up for potential f650 riders who are on restricted licence.

I have a '94 f650 that is restricted, I was concerned about how the recrtion would effect the bike and was fearing the worse. Well I was pleasantly suprised. Took the bike on a good run from where I live in London down the A3 to then picking up the A286 through Midhurst to Chichester.

Had a break in Chichester got a bite to eat and had a wander about. Back on the bike and down the A259 to Bognor Regis, a spin along the seafront then back on the A259 before cutting off through Ford and upto Arundel.Then down the A27 to Brighton to pick up the A23/ M23 back to London for lunch.

The bike performed really well. There was enough poke between 40 and 70 to overtake, never felt strained. It was very comfortable to ride. On the motorway it held a steady 80mph. This was the only place when I felt that it could done with a bit more oomph but in saying that this bike isn't about mad dash motorway riding and I wouldn't want to be on motorways anymore than neccessary.

I enjoyed the bike ride. Ofcourse I would like an unrestricted bike but I was pleasantly suprised by how much I enjoyed riding the bike. Don't be put off if you are limitied by your licence and f650 restricted is great fun after any 125.

G

·
I passed my test on a 125 a year ago just so I could get rid of the L's from my scooter, immediately after which I yearned for a proper bike. Could've done direct access, but it was cheaper (I'm a tight git).

There's enough power in the GS to have a bit of fun and overtake quickly, you don't need 50hp to get your toe down!!

Who will know you only have 33hp, just don't pick a fight with an R6 at the lights.

Can't wait to get it derestricted next year, it will feel like a new bike. Don't tell the missus. ;)

Dave

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not that I would encourage someone to be dishonest or indeed break the law - but - Who would be able to tell if it was not restricted ?

How would the Police check?

G

·
It'll probably only become apparant after your in an accident, then the rozzers will examine and test it. The you'll be done for not having a valid licence, no insurance etc.

·
Registered
488 Posts
When my '04 GS was in for a service, I was given an '02 CS loaner. Rode it all day and it was only once I started my more usual "spirited" riding that I thought the bike seemed a "bit" down on power. I put it down to the differences between the single spark/twin spark engines and my bike's relative newness. Only when I returned the CS, did they apologise for only having a "restricted" loaner available.

Carcher2k certainly does not have any problem keeping up with me on his restricted Dakar (which is just as well).

F650's are just damn good fun to ride whatever form they come in. :dance: PB

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got mine restricted by Chasbikes in London. The bike just feels a bit tamer than unrestricted, not quite so fast off the mark etc. When a restrictor is fitted you get a certificate that is registered with the company who supply the kit to the garage who fit it.

I guess you would have to get the bike dyno tested to confirm exactly what the output is. I believe that the restrictor kits themselves are tested for the effect on the type of bike they are fitted to and details/results kept by the supply company.

G

·
Bike magazine tested the 650GS, and claimed a 0-60 time of 6.45 seconds. I guess if you are way off that, the bike will be restricted.

G

·
PS

My 54 GS is restricted, I guestimated the 0-60 time of about 8-9 seconds from a standing start, counting in me head.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I belief it is a washer in the carb that retards the power output. Its kind of sad to admit this but I am not mechanically minded and was so excited at the prospect of having the bike on the road I didn't give it much or questioning when I had it doen. I need to start getting to knoew the mechanics of the machine. :oops:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi all,

I just purchased a '96 F650 and had it restricted (I don't know exactly what was done, but I know that they used an FI International kit) as I've only just passed my test. I had the same concerns about it being a single and the possible lack of oomph.

I have to say that I've loving the bike. The only problem that I'm having is it's not very forgiving if you go around a corner in too high a gear, you soon become aware of why these bikes are nick-named 'Thumpers'. I don't know if this get's any better with the restriction kit removed, I guess that we'll have to wait a couple of year to find out.

As my bike's rev counter currently isn't working combined with the fact that it's quite quiet, it's easy to get court out. :-D

When all things are said and done, the difference from my Honda 125 Superdream to the Beemer is chalk and cheese, any one coming from a 125 background won't be disappointed, just don't forget to hang-on when you change up to second and open the throttle.

- BeerMatt

G

·
>>>>hope this isnt a stupid question, but how do you tell if your 650 is restricted or not?<<< Sent email
F650Mal

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mal,

You have to trust the guys that fitted it.

As long as I have the certificate that says it is, my insurance company don't care.

If I'm honest when I told them that I'd had it fitted as a modification, they didn't really know what I was talking about, and I had to explain to the woman on the other end of the phone why I had to have it. :-D

It certainly didn't reduce the premium!

- BeerMatt

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.