BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A great learning curve this bike is proving to be - or as a little voice at the back of my mind is saying "a bloody liability".

I've spotted what I think is chain damage on some of the spokes, it looks like someone has taken a file to them - some with nearly half the spoke thickness gone. Of the nine that are damaged, all but one rings when twatted with a screwdriver. Intuitively I feel I cannot get away with leaving them, so I'll be replacing the damaged spokes.

But maintaining the rim and hub centralisation could be a problem. If I replace one spoke at a time, making sure of the tension by twatting it, can I be reasonably confident of not mucking up the centralisation? My logic is that by doing one at a time all the other spokes with keep the rim and hub centralised. After all the Clymer manual talks of having to release the tension in three diametrically opposite spokes to achieve adjustment.

·
Registered
335 Posts
It can be a problem as spokes are laced as inner and outer spokes and getting access to one means possibly raving out several others.

In theory, you should not have too much problem with rim movement if you can remove spokes singly or in pairs. The biggest bummer can be the nipples corroded onto the spokes and they round off and \ or snap. (Been there, swore, cried, threw dummy out of pram, etc, etc)

I managed to do one bike wheel OK by placing the rim in the bike and taping a pointer close to the rim and then noting how much the rim moved as I dropped off the tension (if any). It was then a matter of moving the rim back to position when tensioning the new spoke.

Having built bike wheels, I can say you need the patience of a saint at times but like most other jobs, it just needs a methodical approach.

Steve

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Phew, I can do it myself! While it may try my patience, at least screwing up the centralisation shouldn't be a problem.

I had intended taking the tyre off as I've also bought new nipples for the spokes. Just planned on cutting the spoke and pulling out one bit out of the hub and the other bit out of the rim.

Good advice on the routing of the spoke - I'll take pictures to make sure I get it right.

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
769 Posts
Be careful to check that the nipple holes(ooerr) in the rim aren't corroded and flaking. I had to scrap the original back wheel on the bike because I found loose spokes and investigation showed they were actually pulling through the rim !!!
The replacement rim was copiously soaked in ACF50 anti-corrosion agent - great stuff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.