BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a piece of metal on the driveway today lying under the rear brake! checked the bike over and the brake light is constantly on. Discovered that the metal bit is the bit from the brake switch that rests on top of the pedal!

Got a replacement switch - but how do you get at it to get it out? It seems to be mounted the other side of the footpeg. Im thinking 5 year olds hands may be of use - alternatively pull the rear wheel off. Is there a less time consuming method that any one knows of?

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Now that is a good one as I was looking at that today myself. It is fitted in an akward place. I hope mine never fails. I was just checking over some work I did to the bike and I noticed the metal part from the brake light switch on top of the pedal.

Ton

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Finally got round to replacing this today after taking he wheel off to fix a puncture - -fiddly stupidly placed thing! got there in the end, it seems you do need to have toddler size hands to make this easy - would be easier to take the swingarm off as well, I think, but its is possible to get at it probably with the wheel still on. Mine was held on with an allen bolt just to make it harder!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mullered my last replaced rear brake light switch so had to replace again - tiz a fiddly fiddly job - tried to enlists the missus' little hands and she couldnt do it either! Decidded to pull the swingarm off and it was really easy then - you don't have to take the whole thing off either just lossen the bolts under the shock and it lifts up enough to get to the mount.

Unfortunately for me now the swingarm bearings are all shot - lesson here is don't neglect them

·
Registered
440 Posts
i last did this when i had rear wheal and swinging arm off the bike the other month. good excuse to greese everything at the smae time .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.