BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just acquired a new (to me) top box, but the previous owner was unable to find the keys...

No problem - I know that replacement locks can be had for about a tenner... But I assume that the usual replacement procedure would involve removal of the old lock using the old key. Does anybody have any experience of drilling-out (or otherwise removing) the old lock and successfully replacing it? Bearing in mind that the case is currently locked shut, so I can't get at the back of the lock mechanism... :roll:

·
R.I.P.
6,931 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers! :-D

It's a 'Maxia' (E52?)

I don't suppose your friend mentioned a drill size? I'll start small and work up, anyway...

·
Registered
137 Posts
On my Givi panniers,the key number is stamped on the barrel of the lock where the key goes in. If you have a number on your lock,just buy another key.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glencoeman said:
On my Givi panniers,the key number is stamped on the barrel of the lock where the key goes in. If you have a number on your lock,just buy another key.
:think:

I did wonder about that, but surely if you could just buy numbered keys, then any passing scrote could have a look, see what key your luggage used, and have away with it a couple of weeks later?

Still, I shouldn't make assumptions - I'll drop Givi a line and ask...

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Success

Thanks all! Mission accomplished. :dance:

For the benefit of anybody else wishing to attempt this, Wilburs instructions regarding an 8mm drill and slow speed are spot on.

My drill doesn't have a slow speed setting, so I started with a 4mm bit, then worked up to 8mm via 6mm. This worked, but the lock sprung with a fairly forcefully 'thunk' when it went, so a better drill would certainly make the job easier. Reassembly is easy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.