BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, well last Sat after reading all I could on F650's I jumped in and bought a 2000 F650 GS really pleased with the way it goes and handles, now when I bought it I allowed for new chain and sprockets in the price and hopefully they will arrive from Motorworks tomorrow but mitt gott Mr BMW must have been feeding the work force weetabix the day the guy put the nut on the front sprocket took 3 hours and a 2' extension plus some tapping to shift it but now my big problem is the sproket appears to be rusted in position I've got a puller on it but it ain't moving yet any ideas?
Also while doing this job thought it would be a good idea to grease the swing arm bearings so it's been removed and cleaned, which way do the steel bushes push out and is there anything I should be looking out for ?
Thanks,
Steve.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that Trev all the bearings were nice and easy to deal with but the sprocket has taken all day to remove, now all I need is the parts.
Steve.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Steve,
whilst the swingarm is off it would be an ideal opportunity to regrease the suspension linkages aswell. Mine used to dry out quickly and some had to be replaced.
:doh:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was supprised how dry all the bearings were so if it looks like it should move I'm taking it apart as I go.
The reason I think why the sprocket was so difficult to remove was because there was no O ring behind it and the grease had gone solid with all the crap that got in the splines as once it was off it took a fair bit of shifting to get all the crap out, but at least no damage was done.
Steve.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.