BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my excellent G650GS(2012) since October, and have felt like the bike should be taller (I'm 6'1").

Been looking through the threads here about seat height/versions and have played with the handlebars, but the seat looks like I've already got the taller version and changes to the handlebars made me uncomfortable.
Today i was going over the bike and found aftermarket lowering brackets on the rear suspension.

I was hoping for some wisdom from those on this forum:
  • Are these linkage brackets a slightly longer version of an original part, or are they an additional part? ie can i remove them and bolt the triangular linkage bracket directly to the spring (i dont think this is the case but not sure).
  • If they replaced a smaller OEM part can anyone recommend where to get standard linkage brackets? or even linkage brackets that give a taller than standard seat height?
  • What will the job involve when swapping the part out? any tips or special tools required? ( i assume i need a spring clamp/retainer)
  • Would there be any other modifications done this bike by previous owners that i can look for? (front suspension?)
  • Can anyone please share pics of the undersides of their G650GS with standard rear spring linkage so i can see what a factory set looks like?
  • Any other recommendations for setting up the bike ergonomically for best control and comfort?

Such a great bike, glad to be part of the community! Cheers

Tire Automotive tire Crankset Wheel Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle brake

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
912 Posts
No special tools needed only spanners and sockets and torque wrench when refitting .
Small wedge (of wood) under rear wheel to stop it dropping when removing links.
Standard links are the same from 2000 f650gs to g650gs. ( i will look and see if i have a spare set )
It might be stamped on the link how much longer they are ? I looked on Lust site and they are 30mm different to standard.
You chain looks to have tight links in picture.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@anthony thanks for the reply mate, noted . And yep the chain does look a bit kinked! Well spotted, I'm going to give it a clean and lube on the weekend then. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
912 Posts
You only need the 2 link arms , possibly budget for new bearings and seals with that mileage if they have not been changed or at least re greased.
even better price

1 - 17 of 17 Posts