BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey up.
My haynes manual states that the rear shock absorber is non serviceable. F650 ST 1997 but I see you can buy replacement springs and linkages etc. Can I get the bushes and replace them or is it a new complete unit i need (££ ouch! )
the bushes were advisory on the last mot.

thanks folks

·
Registered
873 Posts
Where is the play shock or relay arm ?

If it is shock mounting bush it is only one at the top . but do not think it will be that.

If the movement is in the relay arm - Replace bushes bearings and seal/dust seal should sort it out.

Think you can get non BMW parts , see a kit somewhere.

One on eblag

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-F-65...775523?hash=item3a765af4a3:g:xOgAAOxybLpRgvsz

Does not come with bushings for inside needle rollers. ( comes with swingarm bearings as well , price does not seem to bad for what you get he appears to have sold a few.)

If your bushings are reusable that would be nice but you will probably find they my have some wear .

You need to take the relay arm of and have a look , standard seals are pretty poor , and lack of grease cause issues.

For diagrams

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partgrp?id=0161-EUR-05-1996-E169-BMW-F_650_94_0161_&mg=33

Look at the sections
Deflection parts f rear wheel suspension

Tension struts with mounting

But remember it is an advise so would not think urgent , would strip and inspect possibly when you have time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've stripped it down today. It would appear to be the linkage arm bushings. I've ordered them and new needle roller bearings etc. I am also going to fit the Hyperpro lowering springs set front and back whilst I am at it. the links you gave me are magic thanks Anthony.
Kindest Regrads Craig

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've stripped it down today. It would appear to be the linkage arm bushings. I've ordered them and new needle roller bearings etc. I am also going to fit the Hyperpro lowering springs set front and back whilst I am at it. the links you gave me are magic thanks Anthony.
Kindest Regrads Craig

Was it a easy repair? my bike has had mot advisory slight wear to shock bush

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was it a easy repair? my bike has had mot advisory slight wear to shock bush
Yes It was easy enough. If you're replacing any bolts keep an eye on length and thread as they are not all the same. The actual bush on the top of the shock cannot be removed as far as I know but all of them on the linkages can. I'm glad I did it as it wasn't mentioned on my recent MOT and some of the needle bearings were in a terrible state, but you can't see that until you take them out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts