BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've been noticing lately that my bikes started to get abit of corrosion, and paint coming off here and there, not on the body work but the engine and what not. Here are the main parts, will try get photo's lately, any advice what to do would be great, ie powder coating etc.

1. Engine casing, the parts with the Twin Spark writing on etc, and around other places on the Engine casing.
2. Top of the front forks near the mudguard.
3. The parts were the chain adjusters are at the end of the swing arm.
4. Black bits, Bar ends, center stand, foot rest's and foot break.
5. Bash Plate

Plus other little areas, as I say I'll try and get pictures and upload for a better view.
Any idea on prices of fixes and any tips would be great.
It's a 2005 GS by the way.
Ta

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
1. Engine casing, the parts with the Twin Spark writing on etc, and around other places on the Engine casing.

Powder coating is waaayy too hard to do...I have done it. Cost me nearly 150 and the I then thought twice before taking it off-road. Not worth the hassle unless you like dropping the engine, stripping it down, removing the bearings degreasing and then reassemblnig with new seals etc... Maybe pick up some used covers from the usual places?

2. Top of the front forks near the mudguard.

Do you mean the chrome bit or the sliding alloy bit? Alloy bits are best removed, sanded and Hammerited. Unless you are wanting a different color. Thing is the alloy has not been properly passivated so it will keep on bubbling the paint.

3. The parts were the chain adjusters are at the end of the swing arm.

These are a Hammerite job too

4. Black bits, Bar ends, center stand, foot rest's and foot break. Black Hammerite
5. Bash PlateNo point in doing anything to this unless you are interested in make the bike look better.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick advice, guess I'll be doing abit of hammeriteng.
As you say, I don#t want it to be expensive, as I'll be worried about damaging it, since I ride it year round, I just want it sprucing up alittle bit.

Shamelessly stolen picture, the smaller circles is were it's worse, but down the forks on the longer oblong shapes dark spots are also appearing on the surface.

Sorry for bad pictures edit and explanation, lol.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That's BMW loss of Quality

Seen many, many problems on lots of sites with BMW paintwork, engine casing, forks, on and on. About time someone took them to task on their coatings being not fit for purpose. I have ridden bikes for over forty years but have never seen the spate of BMW problems which have arisen over the last decade.

This is an evident lack of quality control on the part of BMW, either in the sourcing or control of their coating suppliers. Ultimately it is down to BMW and if they persist in their arrogance in providing such poor quality paintwork from whatever source their sales will fall away.

BMW? What about the crap paintwork. I will never buy another until they have at least acknowledged that they have a problem, let alone recognising the fact.

Looks like they have done a far east outsourcing job and the guy who placed the contract (Herr Whoever) is immune to any criticism. Unfortunately you get this in German industry where there is an absolute hierarchy and they are all on second name relationships for most of their working lives.

Unfortunately the fear of internal criticism will be their demise. Und Herr Jobswurth vill remain in hiz job making noch ein '**** up".

·
Registered
266 Posts
If you want a better finish than hammerite, try a spray tin of alloy wheel paint. It should be near enough a match to the original if you mask up carefully.

·
R.I.P.
6,931 Posts
Seen many, many problems on lots of sites with BMW paintwork, engine casing, forks, on and on. About time someone took them to task on their coatings being not fit for purpose. I have ridden bikes for over forty years but have never seen the spate of BMW problems which have arisen over the last decade.

This is an evident lack of quality control on the part of BMW, either in the sourcing or control of their coating suppliers. Ultimately it is down to BMW and if they persist in their arrogance in providing such poor quality paintwork from whatever source their sales will fall away.

BMW? What about the crap paintwork. I will never buy another until they have at least acknowledged that they have a problem, let alone recognising the fact.

Looks like they have done a far east outsourcing job and the guy who placed the contract (Herr Whoever) is immune to any criticism. Unfortunately you get this in German industry where there is an absolute hierarchy and they are all on second name relationships for most of their working lives.

Unfortunately the fear of internal criticism will be their demise. Und Herr Jobswurth vill remain in hiz job making noch ein '**** up".
You seem to have issues with BMW, although you still ride one.

Have you made these concerns known to the company, or just included your "Rant" in the forum for effect?

:type:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have stripped mine back with a good quality paint stripper and polished them up slightly.... took a bit of work bit end results are nice and do not stand out too much against the painted original engine... Did it originally 12 months ago and have only just had to clean up... (i.e. not even washed once between then and now.. riding all year and long trips..)...

Tony.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Paintwork

Hello Alex ,
Last winter i painted most of the parts you mention ;

1 The engine covers - scrape of loose paint , rub down and wire brush with electric drill , then apply two coats off smooth Hammerite . This still looks good after a season .
2 Forks and wheel rims , rub down and apply two coats of aluminium paint , still looks great .
3 Stands , footrests etc all black Hammerite .

All the above done with brush and had lots of comments how nice my bike was looking , all done for the price of two tins of paint and no loss if bike use .
johnny R :applause:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Fantastic,
Thanks for the replys,
I think hammerite may be the way forward, for me anyway.

What would happen if I took these engine cases off? Ie unscrewed them and removed them? What's behind them? Oh, both sides too.
Poor picture again, sorry!

(in the black squares)

·
Registered
368 Posts
A cup full of oil... and some parts..

RH cover... attached by 3 wires (to Generator).. you can unclip up by the battery and feed it through to remove...

LH cover... a bit more complicated... clutch cable released first, drain coolant, remove water pump cover, prise off gently and watch how far your clutch arm moves so you know where to put it when re-assembling... i.e. it rotates about 120 degrees during re-installation...

Straight forward enough...

(but then I have done them both a dozen times now..)

Tony.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
A cup full of oil... and some parts..

RH cover... attached by 3 wires (to Generator).. you can unclip up by the battery and feed it through to remove...

LH cover... a bit more complicated... clutch cable released first, drain coolant, remove water pump cover, prise off gently and watch how far your clutch arm moves so you know where to put it when re-assembling... i.e. it rotates about 120 degrees during re-installation...

Straight forward enough...

(but then I have done them both a dozen times now..)

Tony.

alternator wires are not by the battery on the GS. They are just above the alternator under a little plastic cover.

And yes, the you will lose some oil but if you lean the bike over is should be minimal

·
Registered
10 Posts

Totally agree - BMW's perhaps more than 15 years old were far superior to todays shoddy offerings......most alloy was not even painted and was of such good quality it did not need any coatings at all! Wish they still made them that way!!!

·
Registered
440 Posts
You seem to have issues with BMW, although you still ride one.

Have you made these concerns known to the company, or just included your "Rant" in the forum for effect?

:type:
nicely put Mr Wilbur:mrgreen:

Many bikes suffer from crap finish. It also depends how theve been looked after.. Ive had jap bikes that after 3 years , being riden year round and being washed frequently , have been ready to drop to pieces.My now elderly Funduro which is riden year round and is now 12 years old is rarely washed and still intact, yeah its not a prety sight to the purest but does the job, its just that i dont give a **** how it looks :dance:.
Ive found the best thing to paint these dodgy areas is Halfords Alluminium paint.
Rub it down well with steel wool clean off real well, spray, then usue a couple of coats of clear Laquer.
Used this on my '96 1100GS on forks and heads and it looked great :big grin:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Out of interest dose anyone know if the bubbling paint and rot on the engine casing is a "bad, going to brake stuff" thing, or just a cosmetic thing? I.E. should I be doing something about the tattyness and paint coming off on the bottom of the casing, or will a good clean, pick of the loose bits, quick spray with engine laquer and a good coat of ACF 50 do until the spring when ill have more time, and a bit more cash, to make it look tidyer?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Engine Paintwork

Hi Tony ,
Think its more appearance at the start , casings are fairly good quality . But should be contained is soon as convenient , dont know why Rotax cant do it better during manufacture . Have to wait and see if the chinese built ones are any better . I painted mine with smooth hammerite and its a good match and so far lasting well , gave it two coats after rubbing down with engine still in the bike .
johnny R

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Johnny R
How is the paint doing after 4 years now I believe if I am counting right?
Thanks
Surj291

·
Registered
282 Posts
removing side cases for repainting.

Hi there, you can rework the finish of the cases without taking them off. Removing involves new gaskets etc. though it usually results in a better finish if you remove them , its a lot of effort. You can wire-brush, sand and polish up the cases on the bike, then the 2 coats of Hammerite smooth silver. Sometimes the old paint peels off in chunks. Hammerite seems to be ok for engine cases that don't get very hot. Halfords very high temperature silver exhaust paint is useful for the really hot bits. The pipes on the F650s are a crappy staneless steel, and can be buffed up like new. I use ordinary metal Hammerite, there is a non-ferrous Hammerite as well for al. cases.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi I would tend to steer clear of Hammerite these days I used to use it a lot but its not what it used to be. I now use Teamac Plant paint its more like Hammerite used to be ICI paints (yes they own it) happens to be one of my customers and I took them to task over the quality of it and they told be that its chemical consistency had been changed due to some European legislation or other and they had. I am not so sure that it may have been more about profit. The coverage of Teamac I think is much better I am not sure if they do silver but I would guess they do here is a link to the paint not the right colour but will get you on the right track http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mv...etalcote-plant-and-industrial-enamel-paint-1l Dave

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.