BMW F650 Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think that these single cyliner engines do need to be revved a bit. If you think about it, you only get a power pulse every other turn of the engine, so you have to have some momentum of the engine to carry it round. You cant ride them like a multi cylinder engine. I had a xt66z tenere last year, I think its quite similar to this design and that wouldnt even think about going into 5th gear under 50mph. And yet, Ive just sold a bmw k100 that would go from 1500 rpm in 5th. Try doing that on a f650, it would shake your teeth out. Its the way they are. If it bothers you a lot, you may have to re think your coice of bike, to maybe a twin cylinder.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Strange, I have a different perspective on this bike. If you want to make rapid progress then it needs to be kept in the high rev range, but the bike (G650GS) is also extremely happy to amble along at lower revs.

It will pull away at tick-over in first gear and is more happy around town than any other bike I have owned. In fact as the revs rise it becomes a bit more vibey rather than what others have observed which is rougher at low revs.

But, perhaps this is a characteristic of the new G 650GS.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm puzzled by this business of f650s not being tractable under 3,000 rpm. My '04 GS is sweet as a nut at 2,000 rpm and will even pull from 1,600, a whisker above tickover. And yes, I do have "mechanical sympathy", I do know, not to flog a bike at lower revs than it is happy to be at.
Maybe this is a difference between the earlier and later bikes. I do remember being a bit predjudiced against the Funduro when it first came out. I had a test ride on one and hated its snatchiness at low revs. And vibration? I've had loads of different single cylinder bikes before this one, and this is the smoothest.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
The Funduro and the Strada were build together with Aprilia but with the GS models the produktion went over to Berlin. The looks of the bikes changed and they started using fuel injection so the fuelinjected bikes had 2 horses more. Which was hardly noticeble when they tested it. So really the GS should have the same internals but the fuel injection might have some influence on the power from the bike at low revs.

Ton

G

·
0 Posts
I'm not sure I agree with this. The Dealer gave me two instructions for running in:

1. Try not to exceed 4000 rpm
2. Dont labour the engine.

If what you said is true then these things are mutually exclusive.
If you change gear at 4000rpm the engine revs then drop to 3000rpm for the next gear, You get used to it after a while, Also it's healthy for the engine with a smoother gearchange, Even at up to 5000 rpm,

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Running in can not really be compared with normal riding. Try to do 20 mph in third gear and you will notice that a Funduro or Stada won't like it at all. When changing gear you don't need to go over 3000 rpm. But if you drive at about 2500rpm and suddenly open the accelerator you will feel that the bike was to low in revs as it won't pick up speed in a smooth way. So it is safer to stay above it and just around 3500rpm or above and the bike feels right.
Running in an Enfield was taking the speed down to moped speed which was perhaps okay for running in but not for anything else.

Ton

·
Registered
112 Posts
I dont consider that an arbitrary figure ie 3000 rpm can be applied to a gear change . Ton nailed it by saying that you should get the feel for gear changes and your machines characteristics.. A gear box , whether in a car , motor bike or whatever is there for a purpose ,to move the object driven in a smooth forward motion, without labouring or over revving . The carb Funduros,like my "96 , needs the rpm to be kept on the higher side for comfort. Too low and its lumpy, and not nice! I dont know about the later fuel injected models.
The more riding you do , the better you get an understanding of how your bike performs, and responds under different conditions. You wont always make the correct choice, but life is like that . The bloke or sheila that hasnt made a mistake hasnt learnt a lot, cobber.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I dont know how old this thread is but il put my solution into the pot. I bought an F650GS after years on big very fast sports bikes and couldnt get on with the way the gs behaved at low revs. After talking to Motorworks I paid out £99 for a Booster plug, with I must admist fears that I was buying snake oil. The Booster plug turned up and was fitted in less than five minutes, and with the first start of the bike with the plug I knew I had spent money well!
The bike was transformed from a lumpy pig around town into a smooth running easy to use in first and second delight. Starting went from being hit and miss to forst press of the button, hot starts were also a bit better.
I know the Booster plug is a plaster over the problem and not a solve the problem. But for what it cost its a very good way of getting over a reason to sell the F650GS, I now enjoy riding the bike and I see a few more miles to the gallon.
Like I say not every one will agree that the Booster plug is a good idea but for me it was a superb answer to a problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Most Google Ads recommendations involve some form of account expansion. How does google make money whether through bid adjustments or keyword suggestions, many of these suggestions revolved around ensuring that advertisers don't "miss out" on showing their ads in front of an ideal target audience.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts