BMW F650 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please excuse my ignorance, I've only owned my F650GS twin a couple of days but I appear to have a very slow coolant leak / weep which I think may be coming from one of the metal pipes leading down towards the sump area at the front of the engine. Either that or the gasket around the small finned part. Again apologies but I'm not sure of the part names as yet and haven't had a chance to get a manual.

When the engine is running I can't see a problem but it seems to be after the bike has stood a while. e.g. overnight in the garage I will come back to a drip underneath in the morning.

I was wondering if this was a common problem / easy fix as the garage I bought it from is willing to take a look but they aren't local and I'd rather not take time off work to travel up there if I didn't have to.

Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
If its from the left hand side of your oil filter when your sat on the bike it will be the heat exchange,just had my gaskets replaced on it but be careful as 2 of the bolts snapped and had to have them drilled out

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I think it is the heat exchanger. I took it to the garage i bought it from yesterday and since the engine was warm there were no signs of a leak but I had taken photos the night before showing a small damp mark on the floor and bottom bolt.

They have asked me to keep an eye on it and if it continues to lose coolant they will just replace the heat exchanger which I thought was really good of them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts