BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have a 1996 funduro with around 42k km and I had previously posted about overheating even though expansion tank appeared full (post randomly got deleted for spam now), but did drain and refill a few weeks ago, and put it back together without a torque wrench at the end of time or replacing crush washer or O-Ring.
But all seemed good when rode it a few days later and checked coolant levels before and after, but after that the weather was bad anyway and didn't ride or start for a few weeks.
A few days ago was going to go on a ride and only went a few km but then remembered should check the coolant level if it was normal but it was lower than minimum in the expansion tank, so then I opened the oil cap and it did look a bit milky too,
so just from reading that sounded like it could be head gasket issue, although I hadn't noticed any white smoke or power loss which were some other signs mentioned.
Went home anyway and filled up expansion tank to max line.
Checked a few days later while cold and the oil only looks a tiny bit milky, but there was also a few drops of coolant hanging from the bottom of the coolant pump cover, wasn't clear if they had come from the weephole or from the seal between the cover, if it was the weep hole I guess that would mean the seals are bad. Checked weephole again and only was a bit of grease on end of wire, which went in around 32mm.
No coolant on the ground itself though so didn't seem like it had actually been leaked anywhere near the amount that had been missing from the expansion tank.
And would expect more to leak from the weephole before it made its way through if it was getting into the oil that way, so wasn't sure if it was either the weephole and therefore the coolant pump seals, or if not that and coolant was getting in oil a different way then maybe head gasket issues, or maybe both at the same time, or could be neither and something else too.
I did tighten torque the bolts properly now anyway, although wasn't far off, so will wait and see if there are any more drops of coolant in that area.
Any advice or what to check would be helpful though.
Thanks

·
Registered
171 Posts
What Anthony says, check the level in the radiator, when the engine is cold it should be full.
The expansion tank takes up fluid when the engine is hot and allows it to flow back into the radiator when the system cools down.
If you change the coolant , make sure to squeeze the hoses a few times to get air bubbles out.
Some milkiness in the oil can be a sign of condenstation, in the oil tank or engine.
Try the coolant level first, keep the weephole clear on the pump.
A head gasket blown can be often seen by taking the radiator cap off ( when the engine is cold) and starting it up.
You should be able to see the coolant flowing after a while but if the coolant is blowing out the radiator cap with big bubbles forcing it out then suspect a blown head gasket.
There are gadgets that mechanics have that can test the radiator for combustion gasses.
Pete

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After filling back up and tightening properly it seemed good with no change for a hundred km or so, but, now the other day I checked and now there is actually a small amount on the ground. It looks to be originating from the weep hole, so I guess that is definitely the coolant pump seals. Should I get the official pump repair kit with the shaft etc or try and source just the seals locally or elsewhere?
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
After filling back up and tightening properly it seemed good with no change for a hundred km or so, but, now the other day I checked and now there is actually a small amount on the ground. It looks to be originating from the weep hole, so I guess that is definitely the coolant pump seals. Should I get the official pump repair kit with the shaft etc or try and source just the seals locally or elsewhere?
Thanks
Motorworks have the kits, it is best to replace the impeller and shaft at the same time, as the shaft often wears where the seal runs.
Pete

1 - 5 of 5 Posts