BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst doing my bit to help protect Mr Bush whilst he was over here I happened to see a very interesting site. It was a couple of silver BMW F650s in Met Police markings. Didn't get a chance to see what equipment they were carrying and not sure if they are just loan/test bikes. If I see them again I will try and get some more info.

G

·
They had one of these on show at the Ally Pally show last year. I remember overhearing a sportsbike rider saying, "I'd be a bit embarrased getting nicked by one of those". Not sure what engine mods, if any, there were but it had a single seat and lots of radio stuff attached.

G

·
By strange coincidence I was flanked by 5 Police bikes on my commute home last night, 3 Pan`s and 2 F650 GS`s in full colours, the only additional equipment I got close enough to see were the OM BMW panniers ,(I wonder if they get as easily damaged belonging to the Met!!)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Wasn't one of these was it??

Posted on that "other" site and been getting a bit of a 'tittering' reception!

(If you want to see something really funny then clock the thread on "the other GS forum" site about "What happens when you cross a Ford with a BM" (it could have alternatively been entitled "watch the 1150's fail miserably crossing this river while the 650's charge majestically through"!!) :-D

·
Registered
332 Posts
Sorry TG - didn't want to "over-advertise" that other site.

No, the majestic 650 is, unfortunately, not me (I have a standard high screen + the Remus pipes) - I'll post another image of me doing that crossing but I was much more "whimpish" judging from the Reggie's photo's.

The bike that 'came a cropper' was a Honda Varadero - it was a real shame as 'she' was the only lady rider on the ride-out which had over 50 GS's in attendance. There was also one of those lardy 1150's that "fell in" but our erstwhile photographer missed that one (tsk!!!).

I haven't had any "critique" yet from my post on the "other site" - thought the 1150 guys would have given me a roasting, but perhaps they're hanging their heads in shame!!! The scores on that river crossing were...

11x 650's crossed successfully.
7x 1150's stalled miserably.
1x 1150 "fell in".
1x Honda "fell in"

What more do we need to say????? :-D

·
Registered
332 Posts
OK OK OK
Just for your entertainment and titivation here's an image of how to cross a scary river (captured from a very, very poor angle and not fully encapsulating the skill and prowess of the rider....[yawn! Reggie you were stood too low!!!!!!!!] What the viewer really needs to appreciate is that this is the crossing done on TWO wheels rather than 'wheelieing' through like a total show off ....) {{as if!!}}

We did get out onto the open road and I found myself behind the consecutive-registered 650GS from Williams bought the day after mine (only he was still running his in and I'd done over 3,000 miles!! :-D )

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi Tim,

all my shots are from a low angle, unless I use a step ladder!!!!!

The F650 with the trim around the screen was one of the new lads from Williams.

Regards

Reggie (AKA The Cameraman)

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ride the new R1100's at work, but find them too tall, even with the lower seat, I'm still on tip toes. I usually try and take the 650 if it's available, great for tootling around town. It's only got the small screen so you get a lot of wind blast.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You can do the Bikesafe any time of year, no need to wait till summer. Also if you're really interested in men in leathers, pop down to Tattenham Corner in Epsom this Sunday, about 8am where there will be quite a few.
Mind you, most of them will be as old as the bikes they are riding. :riding:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.