BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my forks had a bit of rust. i removed most of it, the surface is nice and smooth and won't cut seals.

what can i do to prevent rust in the future? oil/grease won't do. all it will do is make it easier for dirt salt and grime to stick to the forks, and unless applied often it won't really help

i tried applying a thin layer of pain over the rust spots. the pain sticks nicely on non-corroded parts, but where the rust was previously the paint just won't stay on! it slides right off.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Buy a Pair of Fork Gaiters ( From an online store or Local moto x Shop ) If your bike has a Centre Stand put it on the Centre Stand and either tie the Back end down or secure something heavy to the Rear Rack and remove the Front wheel and then the Forks Smear the Fork tubes with Vasoline or a light coat of grease Fit the Gaiters Secure With Cable ties You may get these with the Gaiters Refit the Forks and Front wheel .Cheers Francis

·
Registered
76 Posts
Fork stanchions tend to rust because they get chipped by road debris and as fw750x says, fork gaitors will indeed protect them. I tend to refer to them as "Noras", which comes from a British TV comedy programme where an old man lusts after an old lady called Nora Batty who wears wrinkled stockings! :LOL:
Yes, they can detract from your bike's looks and an alternative would be to fit some other sort of physical shield to protect them as we tend to see on some modern off-road bikes.
Having said that, I fitted gaitors to my 2001 F650GS when I bought it around three years ago and I'm happy that the stanchions will last for the foreseeable future.
I have read of warnings that they will mask airflow to the radiator and cause overheating but I've had no problems at all and I've concluded that this comes from people who are not familiar with our UK climate - I don't live anywhere that suffers from unbearable heatwaves.
Include me in the fork gaitor fan club! (y)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fork stanchions tend to rust because they get chipped by road debris and as fw750x says, fork gaitors will indeed protect them. I tend to refer to them as "Noras", which comes from a British TV comedy programme where an old man lusts after an old lady called Nora Batty who wears wrinkled stockings! :LOL:
Yes, they can detract from your bike's looks and an alternative would be to fit some other sort of physical shield to protect them as we tend to see on some modern off-road bikes.
Having said that, I fitted gaitors to my 2001 F650GS when I bought it around three years ago and I'm happy that the stanchions will last for the foreseeable future.
I have read of warnings that they will mask airflow to the radiator and cause overheating but I've had no problems at all and I've concluded that this comes from people who are not familiar with our UK climate - I don't live anywhere that suffers from unbearable heatwaves.
Include me in the fork gaitor fan club! (y)

can't i just get some paint that will stick better? i just don't wanna have to take the forks off again, i just got done rebuilding seals and changing oil D:

also it's very very hot here, and my engine is a bit on the leaner side due to a new exhaust, but same mainjet, so i wouldn't want anything that will make my engine hotter. especially because i always ride hard since this bike isn't really that powerful

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello again Los-Serpent Even if you are Lucky enough to Find Paint that will Stick to the Chrome Fork Tubes , The Constant up and down through the Fork Seals and the Smallest Piece of Rust or Corrosion on the Fork Tubes the Paint will Peel off and the Seals WILL get ruined . You have already Removed the Forks So you Know how to do it and it will take less Time as you Now know how to do it , Fit the Gaiters and forget Unless you are Somewhere in the World with temperatures in excess of 25 C ALL the Time Dont worry about Overheating the Engine .Cheers Francis

·
Registered
525 Posts
I fitted motorworks gaiters when my fork seals died - I haven't had any issues in the last 14000 miles of winter commuting in the UK.
I think that once you know how to get the forks out, it would probably only take an hour or so to fit them.
When I researched gaiters I did read a post that said BMW advised against them due to reduced airflow into the radiator but winter commuting really made them a necessity and they've been fine.
Buzz.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I fitted motorworks gaiters when my fork seals died - I haven't had any issues in the last 14000 miles of winter commuting in the UK.
I think that once you know how to get the forks out, it would probably only take an hour or so to fit them.
When I researched gaiters I did read a post that said BMW advised against them due to reduced airflow into the radiator but winter commuting really made them a necessity and they've been fine.
Buzz.
Few years ago member posted here he filled pits in his fork legs with car panel filler, then levelled of with wet n dry to restore a smooth surface, bit of lube on seals after regularly cleaning out grit, dust etc regularly will help keep them functioning, paint will wear.
Some form of sheild keeping dust grit etc away from legs will held, gaitors best in my opinion. BMW did say while ago fork gaiters would invalidate the warranty as restricts air flow to radiator. Loads have fitted them with no issues as far as I am aware, unless anyone knows different?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I vaguely remember MCN did an article on repairing pitted fork stanchions with epoxy resin. I and several other chaps tried it and, despite heating the stanchions until the chrome plate turned blue to burn out the oil, it was a failure.
I think the only sure-fire way to effectively a repair pitted stanchions is to fill the pits with braze, re-grind the complete stanchions and then chrome plate them - this is liable to be more expensive than replacing the stanchions!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i'm kinda scared of using gators - temps get up to 40c here, my bike also runs slithly lean.... i think it would overheat

1 - 9 of 9 Posts