BMW F650 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thought I'd post a few picks of my Sertao, currently in the process of upgrading it for a trip next year. Upgrades (and changes) include:

- Tall touring screen from Powerbronze.
- Hepco & Becker lamp guard.
- Cyclops LED Headlight.
- Cheap auxiliary Chinese spot lights (which do the job) on a homemade rack.
- SW Motech engine bars.
- Touratech adjustable extra wide footpegs.
- Mudguard + Powerbronze extender.
- Touratech sat nav rally mount with additional Touratech lockable mount.
- SW Motech centrestand.
- I removed the blue Sertao decals, as I wasn't too keen on the look of them to be honest.
- Sprayed the bashplate black to tie in with engine and bars.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Window
Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Vehicle
Tire Wheel Window Vehicle Working animal

Ugrades I'd still like to do include:

- Touratech bashplate.
- Handlebar risers.
- Exhaust ugrade to Arrow, Leo Vince, Scorpion etc.
- A set of Enduristan Blizzard panniers + Enduristan Tornado 2 pack sack.

If anyone has any feedback on whether these proposed upgrades are worth doing + what they are like, I'd be very interested to hear:thumb:.

Best regards

Rob.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Rob, The handlebar risers are a great idea if you take it off road, a must really but be careful as the cables quickly get tight after 25 or 35 mm so unless you want to go the whole hog (Longer throttle cables and Brake hose) stick to 25mm. (1 inch)
Interested in the wire wheel conversion, do you notice a difference? Higher?, have you put the 21" front on?, did you need a longer sidestand?

Planning a trip across Russia and wondered whether the alloy wheels will stand up (they did 4000 miles off road in South America without a problem)

·
Registered
45 Posts
No worries at all bud, I took all the stickers off the machine as I think the standard G650GS has a much much cleaner (and better) look to it.

I think I'll go for the 1 inch bar risers as it can very quickly add up like you say. I've got the adjustable pegs on it (+ I'm a short arse) so these upgrades should give me a comfortable standing position.

Your Russian trip sounds the business, I was planning to come up through Mongolia across to Magadan myself. The old spokes vs alloy wheels debate was one that I immersed myself in before buying this bike. Gods honest truth I think both types have there pros and cons, there is no clear winner. Alloy wheels are far easier to fix when you get a puncture but some people argue that if they get a crack in them it would be challenging to get them repaired. My mate has a pair of alloy wheels on his bike and he absolutely hammers them off road, he has had no probs at all in the past five years. It would take a colossal bang to split them in my opinion, and lets face it you won't be going that quick down an unfamiliar road in the middle of nowhere (well my mate probably would, he's nuttier than squirrel ****)! Fixing a flat with the spoked wheel is a nightmare of a job too, I'm forever pinching the inner tubes. Your alloys will be fine and dandy:thumb:, keep me posted on your trip, I'm trying to collect as much info as possible about that part of the world (and beyond haha).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all.

Picked up a 2013 Sertao a few weeks back which I'm currently preparing for doing the TAT next year. So far I've put on a proper steel bash plate, some wider foot-pegs, engine bars and Barkbusters. Will probably get a bar riser and some 60/40 tyres then I'm pretty much good to go :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Wiz, and welcome, can you please tell me which stand that is that your using?
Thanks :). It was an eBay Special. £60 inc. It doesn't come with a bar for cranking it up but it takes a 21mm socket. A cordless drill adapter would be good as it takes no effort to lift.

Sorry can't make the link to eBay work as it's intercepted by adverts, but if you search eBay for "500kg Motorcycle Mini Lift" you'll find it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks :). It was an eBay Special. £60 inc. It doesn't come with a bar for cranking it up but it takes a 21mm socket. A cordless drill adapter would be good as it takes no effort to lift.

Sorry can't make the link to eBay work as it's intercepted by adverts, but if you search eBay for "500kg Motorcycle Mini Lift" you'll find it.
Thanks for that Wiz, I'll have a look

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Looks superb !
BMW missed some nice styling there, but proberly shaved few pence from manufacturing costs :-(

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Last year I had to give up two wheeling due to age and health conditions. I would happily ride these bikes if I could, whatever wheels they had. Bob
Absolutely, you only appreciate what you had when it's gone, when you had it, you wish it had .. . . . . . .

21 - 40 of 42 Posts