BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1994 bmw f650 funduro the oil warning light came on when was having mot I put a litre in never touched the dip stick got back home I have just done a oil and filter change put new oil it took 4 litres I thought only supposed to be about 2.5 started it up oil disappeared or the dip stick and oil warning light is back on and of has anybody any idear thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
You have over filled it,search this forum there is a guide to doing it.You will find that it will start dripping from the air ox breather as the crankcase breather vents excess oil there.
I know as I have made the same mistake myself.
It only takes 2.3 litres max.It is confusing as there is oil in the engine and also oil in the tank in the frame.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi Simon what Jez said is right, the way to fill the oil in the bike is to, drain the Oil tank, Drain the engine, take the filter out and replace it.
Then put in about 2 litres of oil into the oil tank, start the engine and run if for a short while until the oil level in the oil tank drops and then add the rest.
You are lucky that you have not caused hydraulic lock in the motor putting in 4 litres of oil.
The Oil pressure switches are also prone to failure. So make sure it works when you get the oil right.
There are plenty of car type oil pressure switches that fit the bike, all you need is the right thread and pressure settings.
The manual should tell you what pressure the oil switch operates at. You need a normally closed switch. This means that the oil pressure switch contacts are closed when the pressure is below the setting point. So the light will come on when the engine is off or when the pressure is below the range when the engine is running.
Cheers
Pete

1 - 3 of 3 Posts