BMW F650 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Long time, no write... but now I have retired I am riding more and have been spattering the old girl (the Bike, not my Mrs).

I've been using Westway 2T oil in my GasGas and JAWA for years so, as the originally recommended by BMW when I bought the bike new in 2004 Castrol GP hasn't been available for years (does it have a new name?) I have been trying alternatives and decided to give Westways 10W40 Semi-synthetic a go.

The results have been very pleasing.
The gear-change in particular is the best it has ever been.

I wasn't sure if it was OK for my Dakar so I spoke to Paul at Westway and he explained that the SJ spec is 'backwards compatible' i.e. it's not listed in. my 2004 vintage Owners Handbook because it didn't exist then.

I think it's good value and I Like the 5Ltr (rather than 4Ltr) size because you can do 2 oil changes from one bottle.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10W-40-M...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Does anyone have any other suggestions or has anyone else been using Westway ?

P.S. My fuel light has started playing up, staying on at startup when the tank is almost full.
Is the the beginning of the end ???
I know she's 15 years old and I've been expecting problems to start to appear...

Mike

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
P.S. My fuel light has started playing up, staying on at startup when the tank is almost full.
Is the the beginning of the end ???

suggest check wiring particularly round sterling head , as your bike is 15 yr old, wear&'tear may have taken it toll. Look for break or insulation worn away, causing short.
connectors round headstock have been known to corrode, water ingress.
After that sender unit check, float can stick or puncture

·
Registered
125 Posts
I had similar results after changing to Silkolene comp 4 semi synth. A noticeable improvement on smoothness, gearchanges and less vibration at high RPM and road speeds. Decided to go for 15/50 after noticing increased noise and vibration in hot conditions. It seems to have made an improvement.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I had similar results after changing to Silkolene comp 4 semi synth. A noticeable improvement on smoothness, gearchanges and less vibration at high RPM and road speeds. Decided to go for 15/50 after noticing increased noise and vibration in hot conditions. It seems to have made an improvement.
Mines on the same stuff - 15W50 semi-synth Silkolene Comp 4. Been happy with it so haven't changed.

Buzz.

·
Registered
520 Posts
The Westway is half the price :)
I did a bit of googling and Westway are a tiny company so I'm guessing they're selling somebody else's oil under their own brand.

Given they also stock Castrol products and Castrol make a semi-synth 4T bike oil rated API SJ, do you reckon that's what you bought?

If it is, you saved £3.50/litre :)

I like a good oil for my bikes, so it makes me interested in their full synth API SN at £5/litre (25l)....but how to be sure?!

Buzz.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts