BMW F650 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am i right in thinking that if the oil on my 00 dakar is whithin the red circle
warm of course there is plenty in.
been laid up for a couple of week's started first go but me oil light's on. :think:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Mullac,
the oil pressure switch is a known weak point. Plenty have them replaced.

If you can see oil in the tank, and can see the oil circulating (ie take cover off and check oil is being pumped out of oil ways) you are "probably" safe to ride to a dealers to get new pressure switch.

I don't know of any way of checking if it's the switch or a real oil problem.
You'll just have to make a judgement yourself. Good luck........

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mullac,
I replaced the oil pressure switch on my "00" GS ordered from motorworks ( about a fiver i think) and found it was a remarkably straight forward job to change myself! :-D
I only knew it was faulty because the oil level was OK but the oil pressure light didn't come on with the ignition on and go out when started.
Hope this helps,
Gary.

·
Registered
74 Posts
:wall: Well if i had any hair i would have pulled it out bye now.
Took wire off oil pressure switch very (slack and wet ) :whistle: cleaned it put it back & started her up. no light :dance: so took it for a little spin after 5 min's light comes on so home i come.
Check chain gang for correct procedure to check oil mmmm.
Go out to bike look at site glass full so drained some out to the dot in the middle.
Round the block 10 min's let it stand about 2 min's full again :wall:

Please someone help (ps somewhere on the chain gang site it said if you take the top off the oil tank you can see the oil being returned to the tank.
please dont try this on a gs :cussing: oil absolutley every where.
pps. oil light now gone out after i drained some out.

so the question is in numpty uk talk how do i check the oil level on a gs.

pretty please anyone :-(

·
Registered
409 Posts
ok to check the oil level ..... take the bike for a ride until warmed up , put bike on stand let idle for a couple of minuites ... switch engine off , check oil level in sight glass if your not sure you have oil there take filler cap off and peer inside ;)

sometimes its difficult to tell ,eg if the oil is over the glass !

it doesnt seem to be an exact science ....... check it its ok , check it again after , the levels changed :doh:

if it has been over filled it chucks the excess into the airbox , so make sure you drain that ocassionally .

:howdy: mike

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I had my '01 F650GS (with the sight-glass) as long as the level was showing somewhere on the sight-glass before I went for my first ride of the day, I was quite happy as I knew there was oil in there. Quick and simple way to check. Why bother to run up the engine ? :-D

On the '04 it has a dipstick, so now I've got the hassle of undoing it to check the oil-level, so it doesn't get checked as frequently. :wall:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thank's for info chap's
as iv'e only had the bike for a couple of week's i think the dealer has well overfilled it.
I must have drained about half a pint out of it last night.
the worying thing is there's cream in the filler cap :-( but nothing in the water tank.
Finger's crossed it hasn't blown any gasket's.
Trevor your's seem's the simplest method will have another go today.
thank's again.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LEAKY said:
.... the worying thing is there's cream in the filler cap ...
If you use the bike for relatively short journeys the oil (and the oil-tank) doesn't get hot enough to drive off any condensation in the system, that's what causes the 'creamy' effect. A good long hot run will get it hot enough to get rid of it. Nothing to worry about though. If you can only make shortish journeys it will stay there, but no ill effects.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My maximum hairs have gone and now I am looking for a good hair clinic for treatment. But now treatment is not only the way because hair fall is very much. Now, I need a good hair transplant clinics in south Delhi. A hair transplant is only the way for my treatment. On this website, we can get the addresses of many best clinics with their reviews also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts