BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi 650'ers , im organising another welsh rideout for sat 10 sept ,hopefully it will be as much fun as the last one :dance:

anyway im still route planning but the starting point will be mc donalds near chirk , off the roundabout junction of A5/A483 (roughly midway between oswestry and wrexham )

there will be some green lanes for those that like falling off and getting muddy , but that is of cource optional ;) ( the falling off as well as venturing off tarmac :mrgreen: )

there should be some stunning scenery and excellent mix of gs type roads :cool: (ie pretty much every sort , cept motorway !)

if you could post your interest here and if you want to do the off road bit or not .

:howdy: mike

·
Registered
736 Posts
What time from McD's?

G

·
ummm , should of stated that shouldnt i ! :doh:

Its 9.30 departure from the 'restaurant ' :mrgreen:

so far there are 3 others and myself ,one of which isnt green laneing .

cheerrs mike

·
Registered
736 Posts
Hi Michael

Sorry I missed it .. my daughter was over for the weekend plus I raised the curtains on Saturday morning and took a look at the dismal weather and went back to sleep :)

By the way The Wayfarers is supposed to be closed apparently?

http://www.wrexham.gov.uk/english/leisure_tourism/prow/news_articles/wayfarers.htm

Now if they want to repair something I'd suggest Wrexham council take a look at Allt y Badi, my TomTom GPS wanted to take me up there in the car!! Anyone who knows "The Badi" will know take a standard estate car up there would be impossible. In fact I think it would challenge any 4x4's too!

G

·
hi steve , wet weather is no excuse im afraid :whistle: ,

Got wet feet crossing the corwen ford /river ,so a bit of rain didnt bother us !

You were right about the wayfarers being closed .... it was shut in march when i did a recee for a previous ride ,it was reopened a few weeks ago tho :riding: .
the repairs have made it far too easy now tho :wall: , not much of a challenge even for a semi lardy bmw :?
i believe they got there JCB seriously stuck in march, when they started to do drainage repairs , then some jobsworth official deemed the track too dangerous :-(
where is this allt y badi ? im allways on the look out for suitable interesting places to ride :dance:

its funny my gps took us on great road ,that turned from seriously potholed tarmac to gravel track . , turned out to be a great 'find' , perfectly legal lane but perhaps most people would turn back if in the car !

regards mike

·
Registered
736 Posts
Allt y Badi is here:

http://tinyurl.com/e42zx

VERY steep and VERY rocky, although technically a road hence why TomTom recognises it. I went up there many years ago on a Kawasaki KE175. I took a look with the Funduro recently but figured it was too risky on my own.

I went over the moors on a track that leads north from Llanarmon DC up a steep road.

http://tinyurl.com/8bvpr

(the one with the letter O from "Tower" running through it.

It's good cos it meets up with the Ceriog Forest to Glyndyfdwy track. Very good track, easy going and fun.

Do you reckon the Wayfarers has been "fixed" enough to manage two up now? I ask cos I'm thinking of taking my young daughter over.

G

·
hi steve , thanks for that i may well have a little look at allt y badi at the w/e., the second track you mentioned from llanarmon dc is marked on my o/s map did consider it for the 10th sept ride but wasnt sure of its suitability on the gs ,sounds like a goodun tho :nod:

the wayfarers depending on your off road experience would be suitable for 2 up without too many problems , there used to be a largish muddy /rutted bit but thats gone just more sleepers now as per photos . the only slightly dodgy bit is coming down the other side before the bridge over the stream , loose stones/rocks on a downhill bit ...
go for it i say , have fun let me know how you get on :big grin:

cheers mike

·
Registered
736 Posts
Cheers for that Michael.

I used to do a lot of off road riding, just about every weekend, many many years ago. Mostly on the aforementioned KE175, but later on an SP370. Always in groups so there was safety backup there.

I find the Funduro a tad cumbersome and heavy if the going gets too tricky, but I suppose in a group where there are others to help occasionally it would be OK. Plus age has made me less risky and weaker I guess. Offs seem to hurt MUCH more nowadays, although thankfully they're rarer!

The 2nd track mentioned previously would be no probs with a GS. When I did it I still have my panniers and top box on much to the surprise of the 4x4 & enduro crowd I met coming the other way. I suspect when you see "the Badi" you'll turn around an go back from where you came from ... it really is that bad :-D

I reckon you could start at from the A5 at Glyndyfdwy goto Ceiriog forest over to Llan DC then over the wayfarers to cynwyd and back down the A5 to Glyndyfdwy.

A few years back you used to be able to go from there over the tops (the 3 peaks) and come out at the cafe at the Horseshoe pass but the police have blocked that route.

I recently had a very pleasant bimble around some of the firebreaks and tracks of the Clocaeneog forest, thats a nice location too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.