BMW F650 Forums banner

Noise 21! (Whirrrr, click, click, click)

Tags
noise whirrrr
4K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Dave Weller 
#1 ·
I disconnected my battery at the weekend to attach my optimate connectors. When I re-attached the terminals I was scared sh!tless by a horrible whirr and clicking from behind the clocks - I was expecting it to go BANG! at one point! :uhoh:

Now Ive only had the GS for a couple of weeks so Im still learning about these babies, but it appears that this is normal (?). Also that the continued clicking I still get when I turn it off will eventually stop. I got this info of the chain gang site (apparently im suffering from 'noise 21'!). The bit I didnt understand was about wiping some memory part of the ecu? And the computer having to 're-learn' something or other?! Errr??? :think:

Can someone please explain what Ive done (in simple terms) and please reassure me I haven't broken my bike.

Cheers!

#2 ·
So you got one then ! :big grin:

I 've had that whiring on mine after flat battery/optimate.
It also makes a slow but rythmic 'tic tock' for a while. No problems found. From what I've read on the C/G site seems normal.

I've always found C/G site a good source of info (and here too !)

R/tax

#3 ·
Yeh I got one - took a bit of hunting. They all semed to be flying out of showrooms once february arrived. They're blummin' great fun!

I assume your tick-tock isnt a permanent thing??

#5 ·
CLICKETY CLICK WIRRR FIZZZ OMIGOD BANG!!!!!!!

As for the whirring, sounds like one of those old train information boards.
...It also sounds like it's going to print me out some sort of diagnostic report/receipt !!

R/tax :-D[/quote]

It probably would if you could connect it to a printer. They certainly do that at BMW dealers.

G
#9 ·
:howdy:

If it hadn't been for the fact that together with my (ex) wife we had two GS's at the dame time I would of thought mine had a fault with the whirring - clunk -tic-toc that mine made from behind the clocks when switched off . . . but her's made it too?!?

So . . . The Krauts have installed bombs in all our GS's with clockwork times then? :uhoh: There was me thinking that after sixty years they would of got over losing both World Wars? :whistle:

Nobody has come up with a reason why they all do it though . . . answers please on the back of a plain brown envelope to The Unexploded Bomb Thread, F650 Forum . . . .

:howdy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.