BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2004 Twin Spark, and the clock and tripmeter have started to reset every time I switch on the ignition, as well as the re-indexing noise of the speedo and rev counter. I've traced this to a missing permanent feed on the red/white wire to the dash. I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts as to where the break in the wiring could be? I've checked the obvious chafe points but all seems fine. There's a round connector next to the air temperature sensor which also has this red/white wire, that is connected to the dash but not the battery either, so I guess I'm looking downstream from there...
There's a solder point marked on the wiring diagrams but I'm not sure if the diagram I have is for my bike or an earlier one...

Just wondered if anyone else had the same or similar experience..

Thanks,
Nathan.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Oh.. Good luck with finding that wire.. I'm trying to put mine back together, major pita... I would try to use multimeter to trace the dead wire..
Art Electrical wiring Sculpture Wire Visual arts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
problem solved

Hi, just to give an update which may help someone else - my problem turned out to be a blown 10 amp fuse, fuse 2 (of 8) which provides permanent power at all times. I also discovered an inline fuse rated 2amp which was blown and which powered the Meta alarm which had stopped working. Remove alarm box replace 10a fuse and problem solved!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Word of caution- fues blow for a reason, if occurs again, check for broken/shorting to earth wire?
Single sparks upto 2004 had wiring issue round headstock, BMW recall, believe twin sparks modified wiring ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
blown fuse

Hi, thanks for your advice. I concluded that my defunct Meta alarm had blown it's fuse and the permanent power fuse and therefore I have removed the alarm unit and left it's fuse out only replacing the 10 amp one. So far my clock is still running and since the ECU now keeps permanent power the bike is running great! Mine is a twin spark and the wiring seems OK at all the danger points. Hopefully it's cured!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts