BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning Folks,

I have recently acquired a F650GS (2005) twin spark model and very much enjoying it. It has 46k miles on the clock, but appears to have been well looked after. So far I have only had to change a warped front brake disc which was a very simple task.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Plant

However, I have a couple of niggles which I am hoping to sort with the help of this forum. Firstly, can anyone tell me what the missing item is called on the left hand side body panel below the seat? If so, where might I be able to purchase one?

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Grille Automotive lighting

Secondly, the stock horn seems rather underwhelming! I am used to having a Denali Sound Bomb mini [snail shell type horn] on my other bikes. However, I believe the horn is housed inside its own little box under the "beak", so I am wondering if anyone knows if such a horn would fit?
Automotive lighting Automotive design Headlamp Auto part Camera accessory

Many thanks in advance.

Scott

Attachments

Registered
Good Morning Folks,

I have recently acquired a F650GS (2005) twin spark model and very much enjoying it. It has 46k miles on the clock, but appears to have been well looked after. So far I have only had to change a warped front brake disc which was a very simple task.

View attachment 38497

However, I have a couple of niggles which I am hoping to sort with the help of this forum. Firstly, can anyone tell me what the missing item is called on the left hand side body panel below the seat? If so, where might I be able to purchase one?

View attachment 38496

Secondly, the stock horn seems rather underwhelming! I am used to having a Denali Sound Bomb mini [snail shell type horn] on my other bikes. However, I believe the horn is housed inside its own little box under the "beak", so I am wondering if anyone knows if such a horn would fit?
View attachment 38494
Many thanks in advance.

Scott
Hi, as it happens, by co-incidence, I am looking for a similar horn for mine and for the same reasons. What is in the picture is a Denali Sound Bomb Mini and probably the only one in their range that has any chance of fitting in the space occupied by the original horn inside the beak. The dimensions of the Daneli horn are 3.25x3.4x2.5.(I just looked it up on Google). Look under the beak and you will see a chamber with louvres. nearby are four Torx bolts. Undo these to remove the beak. To access the horn you will have to separate the two halves of the beak. In your picture is a loom extension attached, this is sold separately, but I would be happy to attach my own spade connectors.

As for your missing part, it attaches on what appears to be a panel but is in fact your fuel tank. Ring Motorworks BMW on 01484 353600, they are very helpful and have got me out of trouble several times. They also keep a good stock of second hand parts.

Enjoy what will turn out to be the most versatile bike you ever owned. 馃榾

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good Evening Tacho,

Many thanks for this. I went ahead and ordered the Denali Sound Bomb Mini and it arrived today. I plan to fit this tomorrow, so will let you/the forum know if it fits. I'm hoping so! I purchased the additional BMW loom extension at the same time, if I don't need it, it will just go on the shelf in the garage.

In terms of the missing part, someone on the F650 Facebook group pointed this out to me, and after some searching, I decided I was not paying BMW prices, so have chanced it and ordered it on AliExpress for about 拢7 delivered. Hopefully that will do the trick 馃憣

Finally, regarding the disc bolts, they were actually scarily easy to undo. No heat or anything special needed. I had read it could be an issue, but not on this one, straight off, and new disc back on with the bolts replaced with some blue loctite.

Cheers, Scott

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good Afternoon All,

Just a quick update. The Denali Sound Bomb Mini doesn't fit 馃槬

The "snail shell" design is considerably bigger than the stock, so when you go to refit the mudguard, the recessed gap isn't big enough to accommodate.

I am sure it will be possible to make it fit, but I haven't the time in the near future to go tinkering. If anyone has done so previously, please do let me know.

Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Light

Registered
Good Evening Tacho,

Many thanks for this. I went ahead and ordered the Denali Sound Bomb Mini and it arrived today. I plan to fit this tomorrow, so will let you/the forum know if it fits. I'm hoping so! I purchased the additional BMW loom extension at the same time, if I don't need it, it will just go on the shelf in the garage.

In terms of the missing part, someone on the F650 Facebook group pointed this out to me, and after some searching, I decided I was not paying BMW prices, so have chanced it and ordered it on AliExpress for about 拢7 delivered. Hopefully that will do the trick 馃憣
Cheers, Scott
Suggest you use UHU or maybe even superglue when fix these "missing parts"
One or two mine missing when got bike, replaced, few days later gone! Appeared to be push fit, Uhu'ed replacements on and been fine since. Quite a few fall off it seems
Sure these could be 3 d printed ? As said BMW prices bit steep !

Reactions: scott_walker_1
1 - 6 of 6 Posts