BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joined this forum yesterday as I am looking for a Funduro to hopefully ride to India and back. So thought I would check out the basic jobs that need doing on the bike and it seems, if I go for a Funduro I just need to sort out the circlip on the front sprocket and change the head bearings. Sounds like a very capable bike.
BTW I am in Ireland.
Slainte

·
Registered
171 Posts
If you find a Funduro there are a few things to check.
Put it on the centrestand. Grab the back wheel and see if you can feel any play in the linkages for the suspension when you lift it up and push it down. Then side to side to see if there is any play in the swingarm bearings.
Use a straghtened paper clip and probe the weephole on the water pump. There is a small hole in the bottom of the pump that lets coolant out if the seals are worn. The clip should go in about 30mm until it hits the shaft of the impeller.
Keeping the hole clear allows you to tell when the pump shaft or seals are failing.
Possibly carry a spare impeller and seals with you, Motorworks have them fairly cheaply.
Check the valve clearances before you go, and adjust them.
Check bolts for tightness, especially engine mount bolts.
If the brake lines are still original change them for braided lines, also kits for the master cylinders are much cheaper from either Ducati or ebay.
you already know about steering head bearings so that is fine.
Take a couple of oil filters with you too. They may not be easy to get on the road.
Read up on oil levels, they are a mongrel to check the level on, but basically you ride the bike until it is up to temperature, stop, put it on the centrestand let the engine idle for a minute =,, turn it off and then check the level in the oil tank.
Or you just change the oil put in about 2 litres, run it for a while then add the next 100ml.
Fit heated grips, they are great when things turn cool.
Pete

·
Registered
171 Posts
Oh one more thing, if the voltage regulator is still under the seat move it.
The wiring should be long enough unplug it and move it so that it is in front of the air intake to the air box. You will have to cut a little bit off the rubber intake boot that fits into the airbox intake. Make a small bracket and put the regulator so that the air drawn into the airbox goes over the fins.
Possibly have a spare regulator , ebay ones are fine and pretty cheap.
Fit a voltmeter to the bike too so that you know
1 that it is charging
2 that you are not pulling too much current from the charging system on the run.
Good luck and have fun
Pete

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh one more thing, if the voltage regulator is still under the seat move it.
The wiring should be long enough unplug it and move it so that it is in front of the air intake to the air box. You will have to cut a little bit off the rubber intake boot that fits into the airbox intake. Make a small bracket and put the regulator so that the air drawn into the airbox goes over the fins.
Possibly have a spare regulator , ebay ones are fine and pretty cheap.
Fit a voltmeter to the bike too so that you know
1 that it is charging
2 that you are not pulling too much current from the charging system on the run.
Good luck and have fun
Pete
Thanks for all that, just missed out on one, but I have time, maybe going to look at a dakar closer to home.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
As Godoh's comprehensive reply, would add check Cush drive rubbers, chain / sprockets , Funduro gonna be 22 +yrs old, detailed SH would be reasurance.
As a Dakar owner I'm biased about a Dakar, few changes from 2000/1 other basic design was spot on, especially charging systems & fuel injection - few issues with carbs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts