BMW F650 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

Bought a 1994 f650 that needs a whole load of tlc. It had a fire which melted most of the rear plastics, air box looks like where it started (float seal problem?).
I am going through it and pretty much replacing / renovating everything.
Has anyone successfully replaced the airbox with something like conical k&n type filters instead? I can manufacture a battery carrier plus appropriate but dont want to waste time if its a bad idea. I like my carbs to be servicable without stripping the lot down every time

·
Registered
320 Posts
The air box isn't there just to hold the filters. It acts as a damper for air pulsations and helps support the weight of the carbs.

Bit chicken and egg; removing the box will mess up the carburation but removing the airbox will make it a a bit less of a PITA to get the carbs out. As the rubber parts on the induction side are getting difficult to find as well....

The other thing is that the support for the weight of the carbs is split between the intake and induction manifolds. The induction manifold does crack and extra weight on it if you remove the air box will accelerate the process. You don;t want to "fix" one thing then create another

1 - 2 of 2 Posts