BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people,
Definately not new to bikes! but new to this forum. thought I'd say hello. I'm planning a ride to North Africa in 20months with a few good mates but we havn't as yet decided on the bikes to do it with. The Dakar looks good but I'm not very long in the leg. I've ridden off road trails and tracks quite a bit on my trusty old xt 350 which didnt cause me any problem with seat height. Anybody out there verticaly challenged like me riding gs f650 Dakars? I'd be interested to know how well you manage. I know the seats can be altered and I'm sure a bit of luggage weight will drop it a bit but going through Rome and not being able to put my feet down at lights may be a bit scary!!
Cheers Chris

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Paris-Daker....nah!

Hi thanks for the response,
Nope, I'm not doing the Paris-Dakar (would if I could, too old I'm afraid) but will be traveling down through France (Fast roads) Italy, Sicilly(Volcanoes...Cooell), Tunisia to Algeria and Mauritania then up through Morroca (Desert and rocky tracks) and back over to Spain. In Spain we will be doing some more cross country riding in Andalucia (Mountain tracks). So I'm expecting a fair bit of very rough ground. I'm 5ft 6" and have ridden motocross, enduro bikes and trail bikes since I was 11, I'm now 54, one of my current bikes is a Yamaha xt 350 which is quite tall just wondered if anyone my height had had a problem with the GS F650 Dakar in towns etc. I'll be perfectly ok off road. If my XT was a few years younger I'd ride that. I'll go to Bmw I think and try them both out. It may be that the normal GS F650 will be fine. But I honestly think a more robust bike on this trip would be best as I will give it a good test. Plenty of time yet, I wont start training properly until next spring. Just gathering info at present.
Thanks again, Chris.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Not sure by what you mean by 'more robust' ? Dakar is virtually same set up as GS (frame forks etc) but with increased ground clearance, due to 21" front wheel, longer links/suspension unit at rear, also lower overall gearing aswell as lower first gear ratio, colour scheme etc, this is a standard, on a used bike people have been known to make alterations. . . . . . .
probably left some other diferences out.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Hi Chris :howdy: & welcome.

I would suggest looking at a non-Dakar GS as an alternative, as they start off lower anyway, and unless you are going to be tackling the Paris - Dakar course, should be easilly up to the job.
Yep I agree with Wilbur.
My vertically challenged mate has a GS twin spark and he goes off road with it, mainly rough track not xtrail stuff.

Anyway his ride height is fine and his is the standard height bike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts