BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
View attachment 38382 97 F650 Picking it up in a few days. Can’t wait to ride!
Looks a smart bike, welcome to the forum, lots of advice and help here, check faqs
Nothing that hasn't been sorted by previous owners over the years, let us know how you get on after your first ride !

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome! So I am currently waiting on some bushings for the steering. It’s got a bit of a wobble at the moment. Once they come in the mail. I’ll be up and running. I have a lot to learn, not much of a mechanical background. The bike has been well kept by its previous owner fortunately. Likely a member of this group now that I think of it… I’ll be referring to the FAQ as mentioned as well as the manual. Glad to have, and be apart of the community!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi John, you said you are waiting for bushings for the steering.
There are only tapered roller bearings in the steering head.
There are bushings in the forks ( the slider bushes).
Hope you have the right parts coming.
Fork slider bushes usually mean oil leaking past the fork seals, and also if the bike is on the centre stand and you jack the front wheel off the ground you can feel some play when pulling the front wheel forward and pushing it backwards.( they have to be pretty worn for that).
Generally the steering head bearings fail because the heat from the oil tank causes the grease to run out of the bearings.
Try a high temperature grease in them when you fit them.
Welcome
Pete

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi John, you said you are waiting for bushings for the steering.
There are only tapered roller bearings in the steering head.
There are bushings in the forks ( the slider bushes).
Hope you have the right parts coming.
Fork slider bushes usually mean oil leaking past the fork seals, and also if the bike is on the centre stand and you jack the front wheel off the ground you can feel some play when pulling the front wheel forward and pushing it backwards.( they have to be pretty worn for that).
Generally the steering head bearings fail because the heat from the oil tank causes the grease to run out of the bearings.
Try a high temperature grease in them when you fit them.
Welcome
Pete
Hey, thanks for clearing that up, actually the steering bearings came in a box of spare parts I didn’t realize were already in there ready to be installed.
I was able to ride it around, and can’t say for sure if it’s needed yet. As I am just learning the feel of this bike.
However since then I am currently trying to figure out an electrical problem.
I believe the wire going into the ignition switch got broken, while I was moving the bars left and right, to check for a notch..
It turns out the front brake line was extremely tight (likely the cause of the weird steering if not the bearings) rubbing against pretty much all the wires and frame in either direction the bars are moved.
As well as the whole throttle and right hand switch assembly moves on the handle bars. The ignition switch seems to be loose inside the barrel the key moves freely, and before dying completely, was causing the lights to flicker depending on what position the key was in while trying to turn the bike to on position.
I am also concerned it isn’t fully cutting the ignition off once the key has been taken out.
I am motivated to fix it, as it is a “clean” bike. Having said that I don’t know where to start aside from stripping it down, and tracing every wire since I don’t know how long the brake line has been that way and what damage it may have caused already.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi John, with the brake line, if it is the original rubber line, I would change it for a Braided line. The brakes will work much better..
The ignition switch should come out from the bottom of the housing, unfortunately the fairing has to come off first then there is a screw that goes up under the switch that holds it in place.
It is quite a common problem on the GS bikes for the wires to break as they are too short.
The right hand switch block and throttle should not be too hard to fix. There are only a couple of allen head screws holding it in place. They only thread into plastic though so be careful not to over tighten them.
Yes it looks like a very clean bike, hope you have many great rides
Pete

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Godoh;
"It is quite a common problem on the GS bikes for the wires to break as they are too short."
were few issues with 2000-04 single sparks with wiring around head stock.
Bike is question is pre 2000, sounds like previous Owner may had delved in to ignition lock/switch area, connections bottom of ignition lock/switch ? water intrusion can cause issues ,gets into connections, contacts etc, ignition lock can suffer damage from (attempted )theft. They can also wear . Good strip down will reveal all, good luck !

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi John, with the brake line, if it is the original rubber line, I would change it for a Braided line. The brakes will work much better..
The ignition switch should come out from the bottom of the housing, unfortunately the fairing has to come off first then there is a screw that goes up under the switch that holds it in place.
It is quite a common problem on the GS bikes for the wires to break as they are too short.
The right hand switch block and throttle should not be too hard to fix. There are only a couple of allen head screws holding it in place. They only thread into plastic though so be careful not to over tighten them.
Yes it looks like a very clean bike, hope you have many great rides
Pete
Thanks Pete ! Steel braided brake lines added front and rear. I think the PO just installed the cable too tight or routed it wrong possibly. It seems too short from last checking it there was no play in the line at all. It rubs across the center of the frame in any position the bars are in.
I’ve read about the red dust cover breaking off in the key lock as well, lucky that hasn’t happened yet. I actually already opened up the switch in the throttle side to check for a broken wire it’s good in there Must be the ignition switch that got a damaged wire. I will go through and test each connection later.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The brake line is definitely too short. Possibly due to bar risers/ hand guards placement?
I’ve removed the hand guards completely, and slid the whole brake/throttle assembly to the left. This has slacked up the line some, but it does still bind/contact the frame.
I imagine now I’ll have to remove the brake line, and see if a longer length is required or if it’s possible to drop the bars and reroute the line.
Anyone happen to know if a cheap ignition switch would work instead of the replacing the original? I’m not concerned about theft or weather damage to a cheaper switch if there’s one available that would work.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi John, looks like you are doing well with the brake lines.
I used a universal ignition switch on my bike. I don't have a steering lock anymore but like you it doesn't bother me.
If someone is going to steal the bike they will take it anyway whether it has a lock or not.
I used something like this, but only used one set of contacts because I fitted a relay to my bike so that the switch contacts were not carrying much current.
4 Position Ignition Starter Key Switch 2 Keys Universal Car Truck Boat Key | eBay

Pete

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi John, looks like you are doing well with the brake lines.
I used a universal ignition switch on my bike. I don't have a steering lock anymore but like you it doesn't bother me.
If someone is going to steal the bike they will take it anyway whether it has a lock or not.
I used something like this, but only used one set of contacts because I fitted a relay to my bike so that the switch contacts were not carrying much current.
4 Position Ignition Starter Key Switch 2 Keys Universal Car Truck Boat Key | eBay

Pete
That is great news! Than you so much for your responses! I was getting a bit overwhelmed with the potential cost of repairs At bmw, It’s hard for me to know what all can be done outside of oem parts as I am not experienced with anything mechanical curr
I study any and all information daily about this and other bikes, common issues, beginner diy repair videos, Forums and groups related. Basically anything I can expand my knowledge to be able to fix up bikes. I’ve got a long way to go. So glad there is a community to help out! Cheers!
I actually just met a local guy that fixes up old Hondas. He came to check out the bike. Showed me a few tricks and things to look for with older bikes.
I’m confident I’ll get it sorted out soon thanks again for the link I will order it and post results asap!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’ve found the problem with the ignition switch.
Go figure it’s one of the commonly known issues for the bike.
The FAQ from the chain gang was helpful as I’m sure you all know already.
For those that don’t I suggest reading it . I’ll get it re soldered tomorrow, and hopefully the next post will be of a running bike.
Hand Sports equipment Finger Wheel Nail
Hand Finger Thumb Terrestrial plant Gadget

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi John, good that you found it. It is hard to get a good solder joint on plastic switch parts.
It can be done though. Best to put some solder on the wire end first, have a blob there then use the iron on top of the blob to melt the solder onto the switch.
I have had a wire come off my high beam switch just like that one.
Good luck and enjoy riding the bike
Pete

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi John, good that you found it. It is hard to get a good solder joint on plastic switch parts.
It can be done though. Best to put some solder on the wire end first, have a blob there then use the iron on top of the blob to melt the solder onto the switch.
I have had a wire come off my high beam switch just like that one.
Good luck and enjoy riding the bike
Pete
I was concerned about that too.
Well no luck with the repair. I attempted to solder the wire back in. It appeared to have taken well. I then added some liquid tape to the connections, filled the lock with grease to seal it all up. Reinstalled to no avail. Completely dead as before.
While I am a bit frustrated having not solved the problem, I hope to find a replacement ignition switch as well as a new RH switch assembly- kill switch on eBay and order it today.
T
Fluid Liquid Material property Tin Font

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi John, did you take the switch block out of its holder and look at the contacts. Maybe one of the contacts is damaged and needs to be cleaned up with a file or emery.
Switch blocks should be no problem, there are plenty of aftermarket ones about.
I still have the BMW switch block but replaced the throttle mechanism and grip as I needed two cables for my single carburettor.
Good luck
Pete

1 - 15 of 15 Posts