BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! Proud owner of a white 1996 funduro with 50k km since last week. According to seller has had most big maintenance jobs done (clutch, brakes, valves etc.) and the bike looks really good.

After buying i rode the bike home for 200km and the next day I rode another 130km.
The bike has sat for 8 days and when trying to start this morning the starter turned, then it seemed like a fuse blew or something and the bike went dead. No dashboard lights, no starting, no turnsignals or headlights.

(I did start the engine thursday after putting on a RAM phone mount and everything was fine)

Tried to jumpstart by running but no succes.
Did check the fuses under the seat and they looked alright, however, did not replace them.

Put the battery on a dunlop charger/trainer and it gave a faulty light. Meaning battery below 8v or a short somewhere. Although I cannot imagine the voltage being below 8v

Does anyone have a clue?

Greetz
Blub

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: put the battery on the dunlop charger for 9 hours. The charger still put out a fault code so it did not charge at all. What was strange, the battery was warm and had a bit of a burnt electrical smell to it, very slightly but still.
Would it be correct to assume the voltage regulator has destroyed/ slightly imploded the battery?

I will try another battery (from a moped, should be good for one or two starts) this weekend. If it starts/the dash works again i will order a new battery and voltage reg i think..

Input is still welcomed

Greetz Blub

·
Registered
86 Posts
If the regulator/rectifier has shorted out , yes it could easily destroy the battery.
If it is a wet cell battery you should be able to see that it has boiled off a lot of electrolyte.
A gel battery, well only testing open circuit voltage and load voltage will tell .
Test the battery voltage without load, it should be at least 12 volts more like 12.5 after it has settled.
Then test the voltage with the engine running, it should rise and get up to a max of 14.5 volts, if it goes above that the Regulator is toast.
If the regulator/rectifier is still under the seat then, if you do need to change it move it to a better position with more airflow.
In front of the air intake is a pretty common spot to put them as there is plenty of air being sucked over the fins by the motor.
Get yourself a small voltmeter and fit it to the bike, it will tell you what the charging voltage is when the bike is running.
Then you can tell at a glance while riding if things are all good, or if you have too many accessories turned on.
Pete

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply's! I just measured the battery, It is dead. It measured at 100milivolts so I think it blew up internally (gel type). Still going to try with a different (moped) battery this weekend, and will measure the charging voltage. Although I think its clear this can only be the rectifier.

Does anyone have experience with a good plug and play rectifier? I read something about SX electronics in greece but no reviews so far

Greetz,
Blub

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a rectifier I bought of Ebay, It was for a GS bike, they have a larger alternator than the funduro so are a little more robust.
I have had my Regulator/Rectifier on the bike now for about 6 years with no problems.
I did move it to the side of the bike where it gets more airflow.
If you take the sidecover off on the intake side to the airbox, then make a small bracket to mount the regulator in front of the air intake. I think that you need to cut a little of the rubber off the intake to make room. Put the regulator so that the air into the intake is pulled over the fins.
They last a lot better with cooling, which they don't get under the seat.
Pete

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had the same thing happen when I got my 2003 F650 home, I wiggled the heated grip switch and noticed its mushy, pushed it to off but because its so old and manky it still made contact which drained the battery over the week,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
(as a respons on the phone mount, it is Just the mount, no power or anything electrical. Also no heated grips on this one)

Okay, pulled the battery, it was completely dry.
I'm trying to replace it with a new one however everytime i connect the terminals i get a spark and the startermotor engages (with and without key in ignition turned over)

Anyone got a clue?

(Edit, it starts just fine, quickly disconnected the battery and it cut out again)

·
Registered
2 Posts
(as a respons on the phone mount, it is Just the mount, no power or anything electrical. Also no heated grips on this one)

Okay, pulled the battery, it was completely dry.
I'm trying to replace it with a new one however everytime i connect the terminals i get a spark and the startermotor engages (with and without key in ignition turned over)

Anyone got a clue?
Even with the Ignition/Kill switch off?

Wiring may have been fiddled with to allow it to run without the key.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Even with the Ignition/Kill switch off?

Wiring may have been fiddled with to allow it to run without the key.
Thanks for your reply! it does not run without key & killswitch on.
The starter motor however wil start turning when connecting the battery, both with or without killswitch/key on

Also, It also starts turning the startermotor with all the fuses under the seat removed (7,5a 15a and 20a)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The starter relay was stuck, a few hits with the backside of a screwdriver fixed it. Still going to order a new one to be sure.
Charging voltage was 14,35v at stationary and 14,50v at 5k revs, so the VR seems alright

Thanks for al the help

1 - 12 of 12 Posts