BMW F650 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everybody:

As you can see I am a happy F650 new owner. I'm only have 3 weeks with my Motorbike. I bought a used 2000 FL with 29.000 miles ( it's that a lot?) with a lot of dust and grease over it. This is my third bike, I already have a Yamaha Road Star 1600 cc and a KTM 300 cc but they're a little far away... in another continent. I'm going to start from the beginning: First any tips or information is more than welcome. I 'm living in Surbiton and any invitation for a ride, meeting, etc. is more than welcome also.

I have been looking around in order to customize my bike and I would like to know if the GS/Dakar hand protector fit on my bike? because today a guy from the BMW Battersea told me that they wouldn't fit! but I have seen some emails in this and another forum telling the opposite. So what I can do? I really like the looks of those hand protector.

Another thing, my bike came with 2 glued indicator lights, where I can find the flexible ones (KTM,Buell) cheap and near from where I live? I also want to know what is the regular idle adjustment, because my is set around 1.600 rpm, it's that acceptable?

What is the deal with the metallic spark plug covers, shall I remove it? Last weekend I removed the inline filter because I had a bad experience with that little thing in my yamaha, could I have a universal filter to replaced? what your wisdom tells?

I hope not to bother you with a bunch of the same old questions and to finish: When is the next ride?

Thanks in advance for everything

Roberto Natale :riding:

G

·
Hi Rnatale, welcome to the forum and to the F650 motorbike. Mine, and my friends bikes were both coughing and spluttering until we ripped off the metal covers from the spark plug end of the wires. What happens is that they conduct the sparks from inside the wire straight to the chassis, instead of the spark jumping across the gap in the spark plug. When the spark jumps through the metal cover there is no spark left to ignite the gas mixture so the engine does not fire. It is the simplest and best modification you can do to the bike, it costs nothing and it makes a big improvement.
Good riding.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your replies and good advices. I'm going to ripe off that bloody metal cover. Any tips about the GS Hand protector? I hope to see you soon for a ride.

:uhoh:

·
R.I.P.
6,931 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the tip. Does anyone know where I can find a panniers set at reasonable price? Beside, any tip for riding on snow is welcome too.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Welcome :-D

Metal caps are best replaced. In my experience ideally with a new metal cap, seems they often need replacing every 20K+ miles There's a lot of voltage travelling through it which 'leaks' with corrosion.

Adrian

·
R.I.P.
6,931 Posts

·
Senior Member?
528 Posts
Well well well. There's a few of us in and around the Surbiton area. I rode through some great flooded roads between work in Claygate and where I am staying in Surbiton. Nearest decent BMW place is in Guildford.

Anyway PM me. If you need any advice on where not to goto in the area. Just ask. :howdy:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you guys for your replies!!!!!!! :-D

Besides, today I noticed that my front suspension is leaking oil in one of their legs :wall: and the steering have a little crock? must be the head bearings? Does anyone can recommend me a good and reasonable mechanic around or close to Surbiton? The reason why I am looking for a mechanic is because I don't have the space nor the tools to do the job :wall:

I wait for your inputs to take an action :not worthy:

·
Senior Member?
528 Posts
Roberto

You should have just asked me! :roll:

I know several places to avoid in this area - and one small one man business in Chessington Industrial Estate who I have used once (When I had a 600 Bandit).

Anything* you want to know. Ask. I have lived in this area for some 30 years. :uhoh:

* within reason ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you Ollie. 30 years is more than enough to know where to go and which avoid. I going to have the job done by Vines of Guildford. Next time I will consult you.

Regards

Roberto

·
Senior Member?
528 Posts
Ok, I was 2 1/2 - 30 years ago :big grin:

Vines seemed like a nice bunch. That's where my bike came from - although I had to go more than 200 miles to buy it. :wall:

I also test rode a Dakar there. Never been so nervous. If I'd crashed the bike it was going to cost me ?1100.00 more than a third of the Dakar I got. :dance:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello Ollie. Thank you for your comment. Tell me how was the GS test drive? They book me for this Saturday, but I don't know if I,m going. After I'll get down from that bike I wouldn't want to ride mine , for sure.
Besides, does anyone knows if BMW is still doing the F650? I have the impression that they want to moves all the 650's owner to the GS 1200.

:whistle:

·
Senior Member?
528 Posts
Well now, I signed some forms and I went outside to a shiny newish GS650. If I crashed it - I might as well have just gone and got one 2nd hand and gone 'what the heck'.

So I had an hour to do what I wanted. But anytime on a bike that will cost you the earth if you so much as pull the wrong expresion in the 'wing' mirror - so I went up & down some curbs & gave the top end a bit of a go.

Once I worked out (Very quickly) that it was a capable all round bike - I took it back as quickly as I could. Gave them they keys and ran away. I then went a long way to get my Dakar. Which as it turned out was from the same dealer.

I have had a fair few bikes. Last before Dakar was YZF 600 Thundercat. Curremt bike is much more fun. Where abouts are you based?

·
R.I.P.
6,931 Posts
rnatale said:
Hello Ollie. Thank you for your comment. Tell me how was the GS test drive? They book me for this Saturday, but I don't know if I,m going. After I'll get down from that bike I wouldn't want to ride mine , for sure.
Besides, does anyone knows if BMW is still doing the F650? I have the impression that they want to moves all the 650's owner to the GS 1200.

:whistle:
I had a nice long test ride on a R1200GS a few weeks ago at the Open Day at South London Motorcycles in Caterham.

Very nice...and the power delivery could becomke adictive :riding: but I could not live with one. Too big, too heavy, too co
mplex and not very fuel efficient... :doh:

If BMW are going to drop the F650GS they are madder than anyone thinks. Starting nasty rumours like that is naughty. :naughty: But if they do I shall have to look after mine as I cannot bear to live without it. :not worthy:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thats was only an impression. Because the people at BMW trying to sell me the new GS and said that the F series is a little small. Besides, I was thinking this is an italian design (Aprilia) maybe they want to have their own design. You know only a though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts