BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right, this is serious.
My wife and I agreed that I'd go on a month long rideon route 66 next year, before we started trying for a baby. Well, much to both our surprise there's one on the way (due end of March '08) - she's still fine about me going in august and we do talk and she does speak her mind.
Neither of us knows what to expect (our first baby), but most people (who have children) I've talked to say "you should go". I think the most telling statement was "go now or wait 16 years".
I want to go, I think I need to go, my wife says I should go - it's just we haven't mentioned it to the mother-in-law yet (or my mother for that matter). So - I throw it open to you lot- what do you think ?
 
G

·
Firstly congratulations!!

I've got two kids now including a 12 week old and they have totally changed my outlook on everything. My point of view is that if you and your wife are okay with it - then do it. I'm never able to get away for more than a few days and often wish I could.

But be warned - no one really knows how it's going to be for them when they have a child some people are lucky and everything clicks, baby feeds well, baby sleeps, Mum (and Dad) coping well, but some people find it very hard; post natal depression, endless cholic, etc.

I'd just see how it goes... but if it winds up the mother-in-law it must be worth doing!

Congrats again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Hi Bob,

Thats good news. It's nice of you to ask our views.

It may not be wait 16 years - what if you have two, or more, - it could be 20 years! Once you start you tend to have a couple more come along (at least in my experience)

I'd postpone it for a while and stay around. Babies are demanding, your wife will be feeling low (baby blues), they grow at an astonishing rate, there will be many firsts (e.g smile, coo, step etc (maybe not step at 6 months though), which you may not want to miss, (as for Route 66 it will still be there). Of our three children, one had to go to special care baby unit, another got pneumonia, so without wishing anything bad upon you, I'd still stay around and go later once you know the situation, there is a lot of adjusting to do. It's not just the baby alone, it changes the dynamic of your family. If your mum and mum-in-law are local and can give your family support then that will certainly help, and maybe free you up to go sooner rather than later.

Good Luck
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top