BMW F650 Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I decided to change my oil last night - but I'm sure I didn't get it all to drain. When I started refilling it was really difficult to get it to drop down at all - oil everywhere! Ended up taking plugs out and turning the engine over to try and pump oil out of the tank - sort of worked, but I fear I've now overfilled... I'll check again tonight.

Any hints on draining the oil? (2000 F650 single - but no other identifiers)

About twenty five years ago I bought a new Honda XBR500 with dry sump; a few weeks after first (dealer) service I followed the "warm, idle, check" procedure and the jet of warm oil which blew the filler dipstick away suggested they'd REALLY overfilled it!

·
"Opinionated? Moi?"
982 Posts
Oil check

In post #19, I mentioned that I was going to ask BMW why the G650GS doen't have a low oil pressure switch, unlike its predecessor. Here's how it went:

Me: [SIZE=-1]I own a 2011 G650GS, delivered 1.12.11. I bought a Haynes manual for the previous range, Haynes not being up to date on the G650GS. I like the Haynes as a reference and have always had one, whatever bike I've owned.

In the context of some discussions on the oil level checking procedure, I noted that on the previous range, eg F650GS, there is an oil pressure switch and an associated low oil warning lamp on the instrument cluster. There's no equivalent indicator on the G650GS, nor any reference in the user handbook. The port on the engine, where the switch fits on the F650GS, is blanked.

Please advise what protection there is against low oil pressure on the G650GS. If none, what is the logic and how is the engine otherwise protected?
[/SIZE]

BMW: Our Motorrad Technical team have consulted with our colleagues in Germany and have formulated the following response:
The oil pressure lamp has now been deleted from many of the models in our range, including the K1600 and S1000RR with no issues; similar to many cars having no oil dipstick any longer. It is important to note that the lamp's function is very limited; it is of little benefit in real terms as it can only tell the rider what (by that point) they should have felt themselves through the behaviour of the bike. It is for this reason the factory have decided to remove the light, but we can certainly appreciate that many riders like the ***8216;safety net***8217;. The below was received from our colleagues at Motorrad Germany:

***8220;The main function of this warning lamp is to inform the rider that there is currently NO (zero!) oil pressure. But the warning lamp does not warn in case the oil pressure is much too low (but still above the switch-point of normally about 0,25 bar, so its function is indeed extremely limited.***8221;

I like to keep in touch with Haynes, whi provide good technical back up over and above the manuals themselves.

Haynes: [FONT=&quot]Many thanks for the feedback from BMW regarding the omission of the oil pressure switch on the current 650 single. We have yet to consider a manual on this range so it’s not something we were aware of. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Clearly they feel that any damage resulting from low oil pressure may already be done by the point at which the warning light is activated. Note that Yamaha don’t fit an oil pressure switch/warning light to their 4-strokes, instead preferring an oil level sensor and warning light.[/FONT]

Personally, I don't think that this is the wisest of decisions, especially when the oil checking procedure is so long-winded (and difficult without a centre stand?), but maybe I'm just oldfashioned. At least Yamaha recognise the need for a warning.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I've been caught out - just checked the oil level on my F650GS (04) after a run and left idling for 1 minute. Was up to the filler cap! I took nearly 1litre out to get back to normal level.

Guess the dealer I just bought the bike from had filled it after it had been standing and the some of the oil in the tank had drained down to the sump..

I must admit I'm nervous having taken so much oil out when it appeared to be running fine before but I think I've done the right thing.

Buzz. (Sorry posted similar elsewhere but it fits with this post too)

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are many ways to check up the engine oil. If you don’t want to invest your physical efforts then you can visit any mechanic on assignment writing service else you can find the sensors for the oil checking that can tell you on-screen of your car.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts