BMW F650 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, The method for checking the engine oil in the hand book seems seems a tad ridiculous, is it ok to give the bike a run up to normal operating temp then switch off let it stand level on centre stand for a few minutes, then check the dipstick with the threads out?
Regards, Dave

·
Compulsive Farckler
425 Posts
The F650 single of whatever generation, has a dry sump engine, unlike most other road going 4 stroke motorcycles. On a dry sump engined bike, most of the oil is held within the frame of the bike - the F650 family is thus equiped and holds it's oil in the frame around the headstock area. When bike has fully cooled down after a run, some oil drops down to the sump. Thus the need to run the bike for a short while, let it settle when switched off, then check the oil level, as the oil pump will have moved the oil around the engine, the oil will be up to temperature and the oil tank will now give an accurate indication of oil level.

Me, personally, I check the level before I start the engine, then again when all is at operating temp. At least that way I get an idea of the oil level of a cold engine as a reference that i can compare to a hot engine oil level, if that makes sense?

Just my mutterings

SteveT

:cool:

Reactions: Bikersilverfox

·
Registered
191 Posts
The F650 single of whatever generation, has a dry sump engine
:cool:
This is the twin section, the twin has a totally different engine, it has a semi-dry sump with no external oil tank. The majority of the oil is stored in the sump, on mine not much difference between checking oil when engine cold and going through the rigmarole defined in the manual.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Decided to get the handbook and check.
The procedure seems simple; Idle till fan starts; Idle for another minute; Place on centre stand (assuming you've got one!) and check oil level.

I thought it was quite funny that I hadn't realised there was a fan. lol.

Otherwise, the procedure sounds reasonable for a 'hot' oil level check.
It's worth considering that idling is not the same as going for a run and then parking up for a while. Though I suspect it will make very little difference.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Decided to get the handbook and check.
The procedure seems simple; Idle till fan starts; Idle for another minute; Place on centre stand (assuming you've got one!) and check oil level.

I thought it was quite funny that I hadn't realised there was a fan. lol.

Otherwise, the procedure sounds reasonable for a 'hot' oil level check.
It's worth considering that idling is not the same as going for a run and then parking up for a while. Though I suspect it will make very little difference.
It is simple but last time I tried doing it by the book took over 20 minutes to get engine to required temperature.

·
Registered
383 Posts
When the bike is stone cold on the centre stand take out the dip stick and wipe it on a clean cloth, Put the dipstick back in WITHOUT screwing it down, count to three and remove the dipstick, keep the dipstick pointing down and see the level of oil...If it is on the full mark then it will be fine when hot, cold, warm,dirty,clean,wey, or dry

·
"Opinionated? Moi?"
982 Posts
The standard routine seems ridiculous to me and is begging to be ignored or adapted. Surely, if there's oil visible in the filler port when you're sitting astride the bike or when it's on its centre stand, you'll not go far wrong. I've looked after it's been stood and after a run with the engine still warm and there doesn't appear to be a significant difference.

For the record, can anybody explain precisely what BMW are trying to achieve with the steps they prescribe?

·
Registered
191 Posts
The standard routine seems ridiculous to me and is begging to be ignored or adapted. Surely, if there's oil visible in the filler port when you're sitting astride the bike or when it's on its centre stand, you'll not go far wrong. I've looked after it's been stood and after a run with the engine still warm and there doesn't appear to be a significant difference.

For the record, can anybody explain precisely what BMW are trying to achieve with the steps they prescribe?
Yours is the G650GS which is a dry sump engine, the only time in theory when your oil level is correct is with the oil at the operating temperature and the engine recently stopped, the F650GS twin has a semi dry sump so checking level when cold is sort of OK in that the difference in level shouldn't be massive. With the dry sump engine overtime the oil in the oil tank can drain down into the sump so then the level won't be correct.

·
"Opinionated? Moi?"
982 Posts
Thanks. So, it appears that the best way to check (G650GS, as you correctly note) is as I put the bike away, a few minutes after the engine's been switched off, before I drop it on to the side stand.

This still seems to be the wrong time to do it, though. I wonder if any owner's ever fallen foul of the possible flaw in the standard process. If you have to run the bike before checking and it happens to be too low, could the engine be damaged?

If this is so important, why don't they just fit a low oil warning light, coupled with the low oil pressure warning (and with a delay, if necessary)?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Biggest danger with a dry sump engine is over filling because of checking oil while cold.

Check after a ride, fan should come on quickly (or you could just check it without waiting for fan)

·
"Opinionated? Moi?"
982 Posts
I get the point about cold filling. What I meant about risk was no oil pressure, not over-temperature.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I get the point about cold filling. What I meant about risk was no oil pressure, not over-temperature.
Oil pressure switch takes care of that, if it doesn't go off then stop the engine, if it comes on stop the engine.

The dry sump design means that as long as there is some oil in the tank then the bike is lubed.

·
"Opinionated? Moi?"
982 Posts
"... if it doesn't go off ..." - I assume you mean an associated low oil pressure warning light. I'll check tomorrow morning (can't be buggered tonight), but I don't think there is a warning light, on the G650GS, anyway.

·
"Opinionated? Moi?"
982 Posts
With the understanding that the original post concerned the F650 twin, I mentioned a couple of posts back that I'd check what oil warning facilities there are on the G650GS, the answer being no obvious ones. There's no oil warning light and low oil pressure doesn't get a mention in the user handbook. My Haynes for the previous model shows a switch (I haven't looked for one on this bike yet)** and a warning light. I wonder what's changed, other than cost cutting. I feel an email to BMW coming on.

**Stop press - the port where the switch fits on the F650GS single is blanked on the G650GS. Curiouser and curiouser.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts