BMW F650 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought this 1995 beast with 18000 on clock. It runs great over 3000
revs but under that it shudders and protests like hell!!
Anyone know if this is normal?

Richard

·
Registered
722 Posts
>>>Anyone know if this is normal? <<<

Sure is. It's the same as a 4 cylinder doing 750 rpm. You wouldn't expect a 4 cylinder to be ridden at tickover. Get used to it or sell it again. These bikes work best between 4,500 and 6,500rpm. Regularly go higher than the red line and the piston WILL let go. :riding:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Mal. I'm even happier with my purchase now!!
Wheres best for insurance? I'm a mature born again sole and my 20 yrs NCB that was counts for nowt now

·
Registered
722 Posts
>>> Wheres best for insurance? <<<

I'd ask in a separate post. I can't say for one bike. I've used Carole Nash for a few years now as they shop around for my needs. I've got four bikes on "Modern" and two on "Classic" and a couple of "jobs in progress" uninsured.

BTW, there's no point revving your bike over 6,000rpm ( unless it's in 5th. ) as that's where the power drops off. I know coz I've had my bikes tuned on a Dyno. :riding:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I passed my test in June, was informed by my local dealer that BMW were doing a deal on insurance for the 650, 220.00 fully comp. Mine is a 2001 GS and i bought it private.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you want cheap try Ebike online quote. Only thing is I tried to contact them the other day and had no luck on the phone. If you prefer better service at a premium then get MCN and ring round. They all have slightly differing policies and widely ranging prices !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Insurance

Hi Richard
I got my 2000 650ST last August as a 'born again' after 30 years out of the saddle. I went to Click Quote last year with 0% NCB and got fully comp for ?170. This year also with 0% NCB (but that's another story) I changed to Bennetts for ?129.

Know what you mean about the vibration thing. Shocked me at first...but it is a big single, and I've gotten used to the loads of gear changing....especially 2nd and 3rd at around 30 mph.

Have fun.

Peter

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to you all. I ended up insured with Churchills ?170 all in..not bad.
Gettin used to the bike as previously I've had 4 pot sports machines which are just too quick 4 me these days. Something else I'm gettin used to is the steering/geometry of the funduro which generates some side pull on peaked/uneven roads...almost scary at times!
Richard

·
Registered
52 Posts
I find my bike can pull to either side too on some uneven ground. Its a bit of a shock all right!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts