BMW F650 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All :howdy:

With my intention of pushing the capabilities of my beloved Funduro and my skills as a rider, I'm considering entering the Wyegate challenge next year. Went to watch some of the stages yesterday and they generally look OK. Most of the bikes are 200, 250's, 450's and some beautiful classics (bikes not bad either !). Didn't see any F's but chatting to a few of the guys there, they're have been some before.

My question to you, my learned friends :not worthy: is : Has anyone ever taken part and done it on their '650, the Trial that is ? !!!! :big grin:

What do we think ? If the Brecon Off Road School can do it, why not little old me. Of course practice a plenty is the order of the day :big grin: but can anyone see a cast-iron reason that the bike should not be up for it, the rider only perhaps !!

All advice and views welcomed.

Stu '97 F650 - getting muddier by the moment !

·
Registered
650 Posts
I can't find too much from googling but it appears to be a longish trial on roads and byways. Is this right ?. If so, with care it should be doable.

I live in Thetford forest and have been to watch some of the endurance events there and to be honest I wouldn't fancy my GS in one of these events. The circuits are very long, twisty and "gnarly". I think the bike would be too big, heavy, slow and fragile.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Gary,

I thought that too but surely it's just a matter of practice and confidence. As I can't afford a 2nd bike - I wonder what precautions should I take with mine before really pushing my luck : engine bars, sump plate, handlebar lever protectors, not sure what I would use to protect the rear end ? pannier rails ? Any other ideas ?

I'll try a few ideas off road and see how I get on :whistle:

Thanks for the reply

Stu '97 F650 - Monmouth

·
Registered
650 Posts
I've ridden my GS off-road a fair bit and have done level 1 and 2 at the off-road school in Wales. I've crashed loads of times (not so many on my bike fortunately :-D ).

At low speeds the damage is usually light. Bar levers snap very easily, gear selector and rear brake pedal bend very easily as do the foot pegs. The stock handle bars aren't up to being dropped hard and likewise bend quite easily. Other than that, damage is likely to be cosmetic. There's a lot of plastic to break. I've drilled the end of the bar levers just below the knobbles. Hopefully this will extend the life of the levers. I have hand guards, stock bash plate BMW engine bars. When riding I regularly hear stuff bouncing of these so they're doing their job.

If you don't crash too much and the riding's not too technical you should be fine. There is no doubt that they are more difficult to ride at lower speed on technical surfaces. I'm thinking about big rocks. It's OK if you keep the momentum going but when it starts wobbling at low speed there's a lot of weight moving around. You'll need some off-road biased tyres such as TKC80's if they'll fit. These make a huge difference to the off-road ability of the bike.

If you go for it, good luck and let us know how you get on. I'd really like a go at something like that but with the concerns I have I've never plucked up the courage. Also, I don't have a trailer to transport the bike on.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great Advice - Thanks :-D

Has anyone any dealings with the Belgium Co. that are selling crash bars on ebay ? They appear to be £60 less than Hepcko Becker (?spelling) but the fixings look different. :think:

How much protection would pannier rails offer the rear end should disaster strike ?

Gazza, which hand guards did you buy ?

Thanks to all :not worthy:

Stu

·
Registered
650 Posts
I've got BMW guards with Touratech "spoilers" they offer plenty of trail and weather protection. Although I'm not sure how well they would take a heavy drop on rocks or stone.

I've got Touratech master cylinder, caliper and chain protectors. Other than that there's not alot else to damage on the rear end if it goes down. The body and/or exhausts should take the brunt. In the drops I've had, I've not damaged anything on the rear end.

I'd be worried that pannier rails would get caught on something trail side or on the way down in a drop.

As komatias implied, I'm not sure a 10 year old Funduro is the best choice for the job. Maybe a GS would be better suited. Do knobblies fit under that front mud guard ?.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess a trip to TOURATECH is in order then - sounds expensive ! :doh:

Riding on TCK's at the present, so the fit is no problem.

Let's keep our fingers crossed then.

TTFN

Stu

1 - 9 of 9 Posts